Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hi guys,

I have a 55 gallon tank which is standard size 48'', 17.5'',12.5 and I am going to use the coralife 4-65W PC for lighting which has 2-65W actinic and 2-65W 10000K flourescents. I also have a Rena Filstar XP3 for filtration and a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. Now for my questions, what kind of corals can I grow with this setup? Should I be using a canister filter or a sump setup? How much flow do I need for a 55 gallon tank? Thanks for your help guys.

Looks like your on to a good start. Either one will do nicely. Some nice power heads are all you really need enless you want a wave maker. As for corals you should be able to get just about anything.
    Good luck

sump, not canister.
    you should be fine with LPS corals and softies. perhaps some SPS.
    the seaclone skimmer isnt really the best, so if you have the $, i would opt for something better.
    Albert
    My Photos

Great, sounds good, ummm I was also thinking about painting the backside for a background. What color would you guys suggest because I know a lot of people go with black and I read some posts with some people going with blue? Does Ivan have live sand and rock? One last question, does anyone know any good books?
    Scott

I have the Reef aquarium vol.1 and vol. 2, they are both great books.... Also Ivan does have live rock, I'm not sure about the sand though.

In regards to your first question I would add a sump it makes you life easier in the end. It also helps to hide unsightly equipment. Like ALRHA said if you can afford it get a better skimme,r the seaclone really isn't that good.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

i would say 2 maybe 3 powerheads and would definatly recommend a sump system if you have room for it. GOOD LUCK!!

Duncan

ok, thanks, umm the whole reason I am scared of a sump setup is the plumbing. I wouldn't know the first thing about water pumps or bulkheads. I'm really new to this hobby (6 months fresh, 0 salt) and I want to start off right so I will definetely look into a sump system but I'm not sure I know what a good price is or where to look. As for the skimmer, I just bought it so maybe I could upgrade later. As for livestock I am going to start off really slow, maybe a mated pair of Amphiprion ocellaris. Eventually though, I would like to keep inverts, sorry I am rambling here, thanks for your help guys.
    Scott

Is there any way I can run a sump and a canister filter or is that like overkill? Maybe it would save me some space in the sump if I used the canister filter to handle my nitrogen cycle.
    Scott