Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skimmers

I have a hangon Prizm skimmer....not half as loud as I have read it was in certain reviews.
    Cheers

from what i understand (and what i hear) the AquaC Remora Pro is supposed to be one of the best hang-on-tank skimmers. it is over $200 but i think it may be worth upgrading my stinky SeaClone100 to that for my 72 gal tank.
    any ideas what i can do with my old one? i feel bad to throw it out, maybe i'll ask my LFS, i also have a fluval404 i want to discontinue using as canister filters in my opinion are a pain to clean and maintain (something i learned by buying one)

Alhfra,
    Why don't you keep the canister filter to run some carbon every now and then to give the water a bit if extra polish? As for the SeaClone, can you retrofit it to be a Kalk reactor or something similar?

because i run carbon in my emporer400 which is a cinch to do. the canister pads will always filter out a bunch of junk from the water of course, but then this remains in their for weeks breaking down in my tank till i open it up and clean it all out again. the emporer pads can just be rinsed out as often as i physicaly see that its dirty.
    as far as this kalk reactor, your suggestion does sound interesting, but i know not what this is or how to do that. -perhaps this is something i should bring up in the DIY section?
    thanks Toutouche for sharing your wisdom and always great ideas.

skimmers

There was a long and intensive testing done a while back from some season'd reefers and I believe a biologist or chemist on RC[reefcentral]. They tested 4 of the highend skimmers and the AEROFOAMER came out on top.I can't direct you to this thread as it is last years. maybe do a search on RC for it. I own a LIFEREEF V72 and it also is up there in class. It will be used for my future endeavor. I currently use a SEACLONE with modifications of course for my 90g To small but my refugium helps.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I was going to DIY a kalk reactor.

I have lots of info I'll post up in the DIY shortly, including an explanation of what they do, and why they're so great.

I ended up just buying one from a guy here locally that makes 'em for approximately $200 though...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yeh I would also be interested in the DIY kalk. thanks vince.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here ya go!!

I posted it up in the DIY section:

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...=5164#post5164
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Andrew- I have a used Berlin Turbo Hang On if you want to try it. I used it on my 90 for one year and it was OK. But then I got a little Excalibur from MOPS for my forty and LOVED it. The forty doesn't need a skimmer so I took the Excalibur off that and put it on my 90. Guess what? It outskims the Berlin by maybe 30 % and is WAY easier to use. So I have this old Berlin Turbo Hang On that needs a home. If you want to try it let me know. You can come get it if you like.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I'm using a Excalibur Skimmer also on my 75 Gail.I'm very pleased with the crud its pulling out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12