Mel

Aquarium move complete!

Here's a setup pic of the aquarium move. It took 6 hours to tear down, drive the hour, clean the whole thing (rock included), set it all back up and fill. I figured that wasn't too bad considering the 2 trips to the grocery store to get distilled water and the trip to the hardware place for plumbing supplies. I'll learn next time that 50 gallons of premade salt water and 60 or so from the original setup is about 25 gallons short . All said though, the move went well. The livestock were put in at about 7:30 that evening after the water warmed and specific gravity was stable. It must be uncomfortable for 8 fish and a shrimp to spend that much time in a pail with a few pieces of liverock, a heater, and aeration stone.

Mel
    Here's a pic of the tank with the livestock and lighting on. I've never tried my hand at aquascaping before so please be gentle! The majority of the stuff was placed in based on size and really there was no methodology to it, just kinda dropped there. I had to put a cover over the VHO's for now until I get all the parts in place and cover it with oak finishing.

The red thing in the left corner is a lettuce clip. The tangs seem to really like Romaine! There's a hippo and yellow tang in there, 2 blue/green chromis, an Eiblii angel, a false perc, a Bangaii cardinal, (what I believe to be but still unsure) a striped anthias, and a cleaner shrimp. I was told that any snails put in the tank were eaten by some fish and I don't believe it was any of the others except for maybe the anthias. He also could be a wrasse as it is hard to catch a pic, or even a glimpse of him. He never seems to stop in the open, only under cover. There's also 2 groups of polyps, a torch, and what looks like small mushroom leathers in there. Unfortunetly it doesn't appear that the feather dusters made the trip, or at least I haven't seen them out.

Mel
    Lastly is the skimmer.. It does a darn fine job, when it works. After what seems like hours and hours to set this Berlin up correctly that it was working great but it requires adjustment once a day. I'll come home from work and the bubble column will have depleted and the airline needs tightening. Any ideas there?

Setup looks very good, and I'm glad to hear that everything made the move ok.
    As for the skimmer I have not heard very good things about that skimmer, Maybe save up some cash and get a better one? I have never owned that skimmer so I can't really comment on how to set it so it stay's working.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Cool

lots of fun moving isn't it. looks good! question though, why are you using romaine?? you should use NORI [sushi rolls] that you can buy at any chinese store or most grocery stores. Alot better for the fish

Well i have a berlin, and it's been in my sump for about 3mo now and hasen't skimmed much. Maybe because there isn't much to skim in my tank yet. I have read many posts about berlin skimmers and some like them but most dont including me. Just like cableguy said, save up and buy a new one. I will do the same and go with a euro reef. You can also ask harley here at ac..he makes them custom. also....where is the sand in your tank? did you skip that part?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mel
    No sand as of yet. The time was running late on setup day for me to rinse the sand. I only have about 40 lbs of rough grain Argonite so I'd have to remove the rock and add some more to it. I might just add this stuff for cosmetics in front of my rock, but I have to say, it is nice to get the extra light through the tank bottom directly into the sump. There's another 20-30 lbs of rock in there as well. I'll keep an eye on the water for a while and probably stay bare-bottom until I get fed up with cleaning it .

Thanks for the Nori tip Johnny. I've heard of it before but never knew where to find the stuff. I tried dried seaweed and the Tangs won't touch it. Even my Oscar at work didn't eat it, and THAT'S a first!

Mel
    As for the skimmer, I'm convinced that if I change the air intake valve (cheap plastic screw!) that it will stay more consistant. When this thing wants to skim, it skims! When I get home I cut off the air a bit with a quarter turn and the bubble action begins to work again. Other than that, I don't think I'll be doing a $300 solution to a $10 problem. I'll let you know how the more-stable air intake adjustment goes and how consistant the skimming action is.

Glad your move went smoothly. Moving tanks is always a risky business. Every time I used to move people became rather hard to find because they knew about the TANK and the need to save and move the water.
    Rob