Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

skimmer controversy

Hi guys,

I bought a seaclone 100 skimmer....ok stop laughing and I saw a fairly new excalibur skimmer. Is that a good skimmer in anybody's opinion? I am open to any constructive critism.

There's some mods you can do to make it work better:

http://reefcentral.com/diy/seaclone_modifications.htm

I haven't tried any of these though

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

yeah, I saw those too, I haven't heard any word of anyone who has tried these mods but I am willing to do it to get some skimming performance from this unit. Also, I am afraid to do this because I haven't even used mine yet ,still getting the gear together to start my tank out, but thanks for the url. Does anyone know if the excalibur is a good skimmer?

I had a seaclone and did some changes and it actually worked fine for me I had it on a 50gal and it pulled lots of crap out of the water. Sure there are lots better but with these changes it's a ok skimmer for a 55gal.
    Stephen

sweet,

thanks scuba steve, everybody has been so hard on this skimmer and it's really hard hearing all that after I just bought one. It's good to hear that it can be at least somewhat efficient for my setup. I guess I might as well go ahead with these mods before I run it for the first time if they make it a whole lot better but I am not sure about what they mean when they say "Seal the base of the collection cup to the top of the intermediate tube." Like, what can I use for that and could I use a dremel for the other modifications? Will the acrylic melt cause that could be a problem, too.

Sup man, if you want a good site on protein skimmers go to Good protein skimmer info

Duncan
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Nice FISHY FISHY

:fish3:

thanks Dunk, appreciate it.
    Scott

I am having problems trying to do the modifications to the skimmer. First off, I can't even get the intermediate tube out of the main chamber. Can anyone help me with this or direct me to some information about how to do this? Also, I still need to know what they mean by "Seal the base of the collection cup to the top of the intermediate tube." Like, what can I use for that and could I use a dremel for the other modifications? Will the acrylic melt cause that could be a problem, too. Everyone's help is very welcome.:wave:
    Scott

I think there is a gasket around the inside if I can remember and then the tube will come out. It's been a a long time since I had mine apart. But it will come out you will have to play with it for a bit.
    Stephen

Cool

You have to use a pair of needle nose plyers. gentle[I mean gently] rock that inner tube back and forth while pulling. be carefull, it breaks easy. then cut it around an inch and replace. really, its not worth it and I would buy a better HOB or go with a sump[if you don't have one.] I always had bubbles when I used it as a hangon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast