Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red slim algae

red slim algae

Hi, anyone knows a cure for red slim algae? All my water perameters are good and I have a good reef cleaning crew, but no one seems to be nterested in feeding on the stuff. Any sugestions?

If your tank is a new setup, it's just a stage that will last a few weeks to a month. If you have an established tank, you just have to examine all aspects (water, feeding, etc....) It's just something that has to run it's course. there are animals that, can eat the stuff but I never use them to solve the problem.

It might be cyanobacteria. Are you using RO/DI water? You might be introducing phosphate to your tank and it is in turn feeding the bacteria. If you're not using RO/DI this is where I would start to investigate. Also are you over feeding your tank? This might also be cause for excess nutrition in the tank. Also what kind of circulation do you have in the tank? Any chance of getting a pic? I agree with Gools that if your tank is a new setup than it's normal and should go away.

Steph

The only real cure is good tank maitenance, because the treatments are sometimes worse then the cure, it is allmost certainly casued by phosphates
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Here's a newb question....What does RO/DI stand for? And how do I get this water without shelling ('scuse the pun) some major coinage?!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Buy a Reverse Osmosis and Deionization.

ITs the only way to go for a saltwater tank i'd say, get one from aqua safe Ivan carries them here, there is no substitute
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

At this point in time, it just isn't feasible for me to purchase one of these units. I am currently trying to save for a larger tank! Would bottled water be a better alternative than my tapwater?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

I too just suffered the cyanobacteria outbreak after my tank has been running for 2 years, it lasted 2 months then all of a sudden just disappeared. I must admit I tried the GreenX, Phoszorb etc etc none of those worked at all. I still use good ol Mississauga water.

Someone told me just to ride it out and it would disappear, thats just what it did vanished. My water parameters were also fine, I even took water samples to an independant lab, they were fine.

Just my opinion thats all

I also had this type of... "problem" I personnaly no longer see it as a true problem but just a cycle that you have to go threw. Ok it doesn't always look very nice but besides that what other effect does it have on the tank? I don't know.

My water parameters were also perfect and I buy distilled water. In the first year of my tank, I had 2 outbreaks, that lasted about 2-3 months. The stuff just started to grow on one end of the tank and went across to the other side and just disapeared. The first time it was burgundy red and a bit slimy and the second time it was green and a bit like hair. (was never able to identify what it was exactly). My clown fish loved it. He would wigle around in it like as if he was in an anemone :

Never had an outbreak ever since (2 years). I guess it was just part of the cycle to a new tank?

Ivan

Thanks y'all sounds like good advice. I did read an artical in a book that said this type of algae can be toxic. Once it gets out of control it virtually smothers your tank. Any truth to this article?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast