Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocking plans

Stocking plans

We are in the process of making a list of possible fish that we would like to keep in our 72g bowfront. We wanted 1 Regal Tang but were told that they have a high mortality rate, only 1 in 10 survive. Is this true? I'll list below the fish we thought would be good for our reef.

1 Regal Tang*
    1 Bicolor angel
    1 Lawnmower Blenny*
    1 Yellow Watchman Goby
    4-6 Blue Reef Chromis*

* denotes what we'd really like to have in our system but comments/suggestions would be helpful for our selection.

Thanks

Regal tang..hummm the regal angelfish is has one of the worst record of survival in captivity.However there are also the regal tang witch has all kinds of name for it,its the Paracanthurus hepatus.Those are apprently pretty good,they mainly feed on zooplankton.

heres the regal angel
    Derik...

heres the regal tang..wich one do you want?
    Derik...

i am having a regal tang (around 1.5 inch) on my 33G and he seems to be very healthy! About 3 days ago, i got a problem with my heater that when up to 35C. None of my corals survived except for my anemone, zoanthids and my montipora and the polyps. He was ok and didnt show to be affected by the high temperature.

Can wait to see him on my 90G in 2 months!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

COOL!!!!knock on wood nothing happended to your tang.....keep a close eye on him,sometimes they have the post traumatic stress and only later on you see the symptoms....
    Derik...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I must say that my Regal (hippo, pallette, etc) tang is a true survivor.
    Being one of the only fish to survive my tank crash last year.

He's now close to 5", eats like a pig, and loves his new 180gal tank. I've had him for over 2 years now, and the previous owner had him for about 2 years as well, grown from a baby.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

volitan,

Its the second pic you posted that we'd like to get. I want to keep the fish to a minimum so the best looking ones is what we want.

Well Dark whoever told you that 1 in 10 dies,maybe thats in his store.

For what i understand the regal tang that dies is a lack of nutrition,stress in handling and bad water quality.....this is to all fish too...you handle them roughly,you give them the wrong foods,and not often enough,and you dont keep an eye on your parameter..the fish will likely lower their immune system and catch something,and dies.

Make sure you know exactly what he needs to eat and what habitat he needs,and were he comes from.I wouldnt buy one that has been there for 2 days in the shop.

I got caught once like that.The fish seamed in excellent health and i think it was post traumatic stress that got to him from moving around too much.I found that the more the fish stays at the local fish store the more time he has to recover from the trip.....thats what i think anyways and i beleive in that..

surgeons are active, curious, anxious eaters on most foodstuffs

new Caledonia, Christmas, Fiji and Marshall Islands et al. are superior fishes apparently.

The more you have water movement the better(to a certain point).high oxygen gas concentration is a must.

What do you have for filtration,skimmer,etc?
    Derik...

The tank is in stages of being setup, so these fish will be added in 1-2 months maybe. I have a 402 and 3 Maxi-Jet 1200 connected to Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Multi-Cycle Pump Timer and a Fluval 404 with spraybar, that should be enough for water movement. We wont be running a sump with this tank and once we decide on a skimmer we'll buy one later on. We plan on adding around 40 pounds LR and moving everything over from our 29g which includes 35 pounds LR and 60 pounds of live sand. I have been able to maintain less then 8 ppm nitrates in the 29g and should be able to do the same with the bigger tank.

Thank you for the great info.

James

Is the tank being cycled or you are putting everything together little by little?
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast