Thread: What is this?

What is this?

We have some form of creature in the tank - we got some macro-algae a while back, mostly green stuff but two red-purpley ones; one of which is a ribbon-like algae 30mm wide, 0.5 mm thick and fairly long, and the bubbly red-purple macro algae here (top right side) - however, a bud-like thing was growing out of the algae when we got it, and now looks to be no algal growth but something non-plant. It looks a bit like the zoos in some photos, a disk-like thing on a stalk, with fine radiating striations of a lighter colour on the disk itself, and the fringe-hairacles(?not a word, but what do you call them?) of it will bend to trap little things in the water (or so it seems, it looks like it is catching invisible stuff.) There are several more "buds" growing now from the base of it, and it seems to have anchored itself. What is it, it is kinda neat, but how do we keep it alive, what does it eat and all that would be good to know.

Thanks,

Looks like a zoanthid polyp (protopalythoa) - feeds off the water column and/or seafood mush with a baster and/or small chunks of seafood.
    Keep passing the open windows!

I wasn't sure if they would do that - it isn't particularly colourful as you can see, it has anchored itself apperently and I thought it might be a pest anemone of some kind, or possibly a non-pest anemone, or a polyp (as you suggested). I'd much rather it was a polyp than a pest.

I'll go with Pubber.

What you have there is a "button poylp", and if it is catching stuff from the water column than it is Palythoa. Unfortunately, you have a very common and ugly brown one ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder"), and you may or may not wish to keep it, since in will spread.

This coral spreads out in a mat form very much like zooanthids (very close relative). I have a large colony of bright green ones.

Keep in mind that Palythoa is very toxic, so you may want to do some reading on it before you try to frag it, kill it, whatever.

Yup, it's a type of zooanthid. I got a number of them on my liverock in both tanks. I removed them from my reef tank because they started to spread like crazy. They aren't out of control in the new tank yet but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

I killed them the same way I kill aiptasia - feed it some kalkwasser mixed with vinegar, fairly thick.
    Susan