What is this? checkered worm with tentacle

Hi

I have this "thing" ti is usualy not visible I just noticed it a few minutes ago. It can stretch up to almos 1 to 2 centimeters, it is kinda black and white like a cheker board and at the extremety when it is stretch some tentacle comes out and then it stretch back in (eating probably). I don't have a good digital camera sorry hehe, anybody seen this already

Oh yeah and it is comming out of the same place and seems to be stationary, I just want to know if it is good or bad
    25g Reef

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Sounds like it could be a peanut worm...

They're good to have.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Harem excuse my ingnorance but what do they do ??
    25g Reef

Use the link below and scroll down the page till you come to "Sipunculan or Peanut worms". These guys are harmless, yet very benificial as they clean all kinds of stuff off the rockwork. They are limited in how much they clean though because they are stationary and extend their probiscus out from a single hole, feeling around as far as they can reach. To me, the probiscus always reminds me of an elephant's trunk.
    You should bookmark Dr. Ron's website for regular referance because there is a ton of usefull info there. Hope this helps.

http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm

BY the way..., who's Harem???

This is great

I always wondered why that part of the rock stay virtualy algea free compared to the reste of my tank hehe
    25g Reef

Yeah,
    It's kinda cool actaully how they clean the rocks.
    In the middle of the night, you should go to your tank and with a flashlight look quickly in the area you know they are. You'll see those arms out holding little scrub brushes and beside them a little pail of soap and water. These pails are usually about the size of a thimble. You have to be quick though, because they are easily startled by the light and at times they will grab the little bucket and throw the soapy water at you. It's a good thing there is the tank glass blocking you because try explaining to your wife when you go back to bed why you're all wet with soapy water!!!:

haha, actulay now that you say that I tough I saw some soap bubbles in there the other day

(btw I'm a woman :P
    25g Reef

I think I have a couple of those worms in my live rock too. They can best be described as like elephant trunks. The sand around the perimeter around that live rock is whiter than the rest. I guess these worms does no harm.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.