Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sump info

sump info

Well I to am wondering about a prefab sump form J+L or elsewhere but $$$$
    what is required in making a rubbermaid type (what tyoe of filters or carbons etc bo i have to have in it )

roughneck rubber maid containers will work well and are easy to cut with a sharp hobby knife for any bulkhead holes you need to make. They come in a reasonable range of sizes and are stackable if need be. The deepest ones will receive the sallower ones very nicely because they all have the same size and shape top edge. About all i can suggest is to be safe that you position the heater in a fashion that it is not in contact with the sides or bottom of the containers. What you put in them will depend on what is in your tank. Give some more info about what you will be keeping in the tank, what size is this tank, etc.
    Rob

hey that's a great idea, a rubbermaid container might work for my setup too. Hey Salty, how would you setup a sump like that to receive filter media, carbon etc. I guess you could just use a H.O.T skimmer as well. Where would you cut the holes? I guess all of this depends on what will be in your tank, right? Why doesn't everybody use a rubbermaid? Would you use acrylic sheets to direct water flow within the container? good question fishguy...
    Scott

Talking

many reason why many don't use a rubber maid.
    there kinda ugly, if you need a place for probes,carbon and many other things its really hard to glue acrylic to rubbermaid[impossible]. I've used one but like the looks of a real acylic sump.

Get one made by Harley..way better and he does it as per your specs...for a good price...you wont regret it.
    Derik...

Johnny is correct about why they are not used by many. but all that aside I have used them in a stacked fashion as a wet / dry filter for up to 5 years with NO ISSUES.
    I took 3 different depths of roughneck containers and used the deepest one as bottom container. Popped a hole in it about 1/2 inch off the bottom and installed a 1 inch bulkhead fitting. I put a screen on the inside to keep the media out of the pumps pick up. I put 3 inches of porcelain circle media in to that container. then I took the next depth of container and drilled a row of 1 inch holes in the bottom across one end and dropped that into the first container. Then I took the shallowest container and drilled lots and lots of 1/8 inch holes into its bottom. I put that one into the stack. Then on goes the lid with a 2.5 inch hole in it for the tanks overflow pipe and there you go a wet dry filter of VERY LARGE capacity and a pile of cash still in your pocket.
    Rob

sump

Well thanks one Salty dog for lending a helpful hand. hear is more info on my setup I currently have a 72 bow RR tank and stand which brings to my next question should I put 1/2 or 1/4 inch styrofoam between tank and stand. I plan to have fish with LR and slowly til I learn more, add
    like some feather dusters and amor for a couple nemos and get into the corals etc and more fish after I get a better sump/refug But for starters I will just have the above and would like a starter sump if possible so my other half will then be able to see the tank all setup and running and not think I flushed down a bunch of $$ untill I can get more $$ together and upgrade. So what media do I have to have along with the pump prob.a( mag 1800 or 1200) and do you know of any pics/instructions on the web showing any of this.please and thanks

Simple set up.

Fishguyxd. OK first off a wet dry setup is not the preferred way to go with reef tanks and if in the end you want to keep a reef you should setup differently. However you can still maker a sump / refuge on the cheap with roughneck containers and if you plan carefully you will be able to salvage the piping and bulkhead fitting for reuse on the acrylic sump / refuge sometime down the road.
    All you really need to know to set this up is that a "sump" is really nothing more that a water tight container where you can HIDE your equipment and save valuable display tank real estate. so into the sump part of the setup you will put your skimmer, heater, probes if you have any and any other equipment you need for running the tank if that equipment needs top be submersed. the refuge is also pretty simple because it is really nothing more then another water tight container where you can add some live rock and pick up the added rock filtering capacity and provide a place where critters can develop and grow without being threatened by fish to become a meal. Here is a VERY simple set up. Hope you can read the text. Your skimmer will have to exhaust into a shallow container so that a lot of the micro bubbles get lost as the water flows over the lip of this container. keep in mind that a sump /refuge can be as simple or as complex as you care to build it.

things are becoming clearer, what pump would be suitable for the return flow a p/h or something larger? and i assume the overflow from the tank could be drilled in the back wall of the tank say about half way down with a 90 elbow, would the return need to be above the waterline? it would be quieter below.

a picture is like a thousand words. Good job salty
    We need more Indians!

return from the sump is IMO best if it is just below the water line. If it is too far below you will have an issue in a power failure with too much tank water being drawn into the sump = FLOOD. the return pump should be a RELIABLE unit so I would not go with a standard type power head. Go with at least a pump from the MAG serious. The hole in the tank that will be behind the overflow wall is best as close to the bottom ad possible. You will likely need the height for a stand pipe.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast