Thread: tank drilling?

tank drilling?

I have opted for a sump setup with an overflow and a drain and a return. I need to know if anybody does tank drilling in the Ottawa area or if anybody can give me some hints or tips on doing it myself, what kind of drillbit, use water or not etc. thanks.
    Scott

One Salty Dog does !!
    Stephen

He sure dose
    Rob

Well hello again Salty I should probably figure out my overflow measurements and the like before I go drilling holes in my tank but I think I should have somebody with experience to be doing something so delicate. Either way I will need my tank drilled at some point, so we will definetely be in touch about that. On another note, what kind of return pump should I be thinking about for my 55g if I have a sump that is approx. 13'' by 19''? Where can I get an overflow plate and all the necessary fittings for my drain and return etc? Thanks for the help Salty. :wave:
    Scott

Ivan often has Bulkhead fitting or you can get them at Canadian tire of pool outfitters. The overflow wall can be obtained from Harley at Acrylic City. As for the overflow chamber size .. I would go with a minimum of 5 inches X 5 inches so you can get you hand down there.
    Rob

How many overflow boxes should be on there? I've seen tanks with up to 3. Should there be one for the drain and one for the return? How high do the chambers go up the tank? I am assuming up to the water line, wherever that is. Do the acrylic overflows get siliconed to the aquarium wall? What size bulkheads\holes do you recommend for my setup? Thanks again salty.
    Scott

Most tanks don't have holes drilled in them that are bigger then what's needed for a 1.5 inch bulkhead fitting. Many tanks have holes drilled in them that are somewhat smaller. So if it's a BIG tank with high water turnover, or a normal tank with small holes you would need more holes to do the job. Every hole that feeds the sump needs an overflow wall = some tanks with multi overflows.
    Rob