Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

dumb question no 5

i have a 250w hqi m/h pendant at the moment over my 45g corner tank. I am setting up a 65g and am going to use 220w pc lighting (http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...gno=pc-al48260) to supplement my m/h my questions are:-

can i put a smaller wattage bulb in the pendant or does it have to be a 250W? i am worried that the m/h may be too strong for the tank as the 45 is 2' deep whereas the new 65g is only 18". at the moment i have the pendant 10" above the water (no canopy) but on the new tank it will need to be about 4" above the water cos i dont want to build a canopy any larger than 9" in height (the pendant is 5" high).

I use to have the m/h on for 8hrs a day but for the last few weeks have cut it back to 5-6 which seems to make the corals happier.

I plan to put the pc's at the front of the tank (on for 10hrs)
    and the m/h inthe centre (on for 4hrs/day)(i read an article somewhere which said m/h are only required for this amount of time which suits me less heat and electricity)

Do you experienced folks have any suggestions i do not want to spend more bucks than i have to.

i am so bored of being a sea squirt, can some one upgrade me to a lion fish.......shark.............................
    We need more Indians!

We need more Indians!

The bulb for your HM fixture MUST match the ballast. You can cut down on the intensity by covering the tank with a piece of nylon window screen or move the light up higher off the waters surface.
    Rob

thats what i thought you'd say, any one wanna swap my 250 for a 150W (ballast's)
    We need more Indians!

Maybe you can put the pendent its self into storage for use another day and get a new socket and wiring with a standard type reflector. The light would be spread out more over the whole tanks surface instead of being somewhat focused as a pendent tends to do. 250 watts is not overkill on that size tank as long as you can manage the heat. A hood fan will likely be needed for that job.

There is a fan with the pc lights but i'm certain it would not be strong enough, i have had real trouble with the temp this summer ive had a floor standing fan pointed at the tank all summer. hence the reason for wanting a smaller wattage less heat and hydro and the fact that the light will be much closer to the water.
    i think storage will be the best solution
    heres some pics of the stand i knocked up the weekend minus the doors(still in the finishing shop....OH how i hate finishing)
    ahhh how do you post pics?
    We need more Indians!

to post a PIC you need to first off make sure the PIC file is not to big to post. I have the best luck when I resize to 600 x 400 and save it as a JPEG of medium quality. As for the actual posting of the PIC use the "post reply" button that is in the lower right hand side of this screen. When you select the "post reply" button a slightly different looks screen will open and you MUST put something in each of the fields on that screen. At the bottom there is a "browse" button that you ca use to locate your pic and select it to be posted. I like to save my correctly sized Pics to the desktop so they are easy to find.
    Rob

new 65g

my new stand minus doors

ijo
    I see the tank will be in competition with the T.V. ... Been there... done that... the tank always wins... hehe nice stand :thumb:

IJO

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast