Still wierd test results

Okay I picked up Salifert kits today.

My ALK is 7.52 or 2.68 meq/L

My Ca can't be measured. It didn't turn blue with a complete round.

So I diluted it to 1ml tank water & 1ml RO water.

This comes back at 290.

Sooooo... unless this kit won't work that way, that puts my calcium at 580.

How the heck did my Calcium get up to 580? & should I be worried? Is there something that could be confusing the test kits?

I can add some buffer, but the lights just went out so I'll wait until the morning. What should I raise the the ALK to?

Or is there anything to do?

Thanks!

don't raise the alk- you may cause the calcium to precipitate. Why not do a w.c to reduce tha calcium level to around 400 and then buffer a little- no need to go higher than around 10 dkh.
    that;s pretty weird to have such a high calcium level unless you use additives with calcium and have only softies in the tank-what do you add for calc/alk etc?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Nothing, I've never dosed anything.

I have some Pro-Buffer I could add if needed.

There's not much in the tank to use the Ca right now and I do use Oceanic Salt which is supposed to start high.

The first time I got such a high reading the crappy test kits I had got the blame. Now the salifert kits are saying the same thing.

Is there something that could be throwing the test kits off?

Anyway I'll try a partial & see where that gets me tonight.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I doubt the test kit is off- I assume you use r.o. water for w.c.s- make a new batch of salt water and mix it for an hour and then test the water for calcium. if the reading is lower than your tank then we have a real mystery.
    if you use tap water or bottled water for w.c.s there will be some calcium already in the water so when you use a salt that has a high level of calcium too, you're bound to have high calcium readings...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I'm using RO water, but I'm buying it from Loblaws until I get my own RO/DI unit.

I had been thinking that perhaps it's my water source that's driving up my calcium since other people using Oceanic aren't reporting as high a concentration of Ca.

I'm at the office, but would the salifert test kit work on fresh water? I'm thinking of testing the supposedly RO water itself.

I did test a fresh batch of saltwater with the old kit & got a Ca of 600. I'll test again tonight.

Cheers!

Kruger, I just mixed a batch of Oceanic last night. I use RO/DI from the Aquasafe unit. I can test the new mix tonight to see what I am getting with a fresh mix, no additive.

I have also noted that the calcium levels are dropping in my tank. The first calcium tests I did, shortly after adding live rock were around 480. I did a 20% water change on the weekend, tested it on Tuesday and the calcium is down to 420. Still good. I expect it is being used by the corraline and snails.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Kruger,

I think the problem lay's in that salt mix. From everything that I have read most people use that salt in a tank with a high demand on Calcium. That salt mix has the highest amount of calcium than any other salt mix. Like you said you don't have anything that is really using calcium right now, and that Salt mix has really high calcium to start with. Like reefmutt said your source water may be adding some calcium as well. I have heard of people mixing half Oceanic with half instant Ocean to lower the calcium levels. HTH

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Could be. I plan on adding SPS to the tank once I get the chemistry where it's supposed to be. If it's not really hurting anything to be that high, maybe it's time to start looking for frags.

Cheers!

Kruger,

Sorry about the delay. I forgot it was meet the teacher at Gloucester High.

I tested the new salt mix. Mixed last night (sat for 24 hours) I use RO/DI water.

Salinity 1.025
    Temp 79
    PH 8.2
    Calcium 500+
    Alk 6.7 dkh (2.4 meq/L)
    Mag 1440

Like you, calcium is off the chart. I did not bother with the half measure test as I expect it will confirm yours. There is a little difference in Alk, but that may be from the water.

Hope this helps

Ward
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.