Travertine Rock??

Travertine is a massive, finely crystalline rock of calcite formed by secondary chemical precipitation from ground water solutions in limestone formations.

My question is, as dumb as it maybe..who knows

I am in the process of setting up my 55g and I was wondering if this is an acceptable alternative for a base rock?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

From what I know about Travertine Rock it has been sold for ages for Aquarium.It has a calcium carbonate base, The only problem I would see is that it is very pourus and may contain other elements in it iron or other impurities also organic.

If you were to use it I would let it sit in water for awhile before placing it in a Reef as base rock.It is a Rock that is very simular to Tuffa and sometimes mistaken for Tuffa.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Thanks Robin, its always nice to know that someone has taken the time to help me out...appreciate it...thanks..people at reef central helping me out quicker, it is a reef safe rock....thanks for all those who viewed and posted a response.

I hope you do understand RC has on average 1200 people viewing threads at any given time. AC only has about 20.

Perhaps you should think about these things before you decide to throw a tantrum.
    -Dazz

Originally posted by dazednconfused
    Thanks Robin, its always nice to know that someone has taken the time to help me out...appreciate it...thanks..people at reef central helping me out quicker, it is a reef safe rock....thanks for all those who viewed and posted a response.
    just a note bud, tossing out your little RC is better remarks in every thread isn't going to entice people to want to help you out at all. Use some sense.

As for your rock, I wouldn't use it in my setup. Anything could be in those rocks in small proportions that could leach into your tank.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

just seen this thread. It sounds very similar to TUFA rock which also is being used in aquariums. Its very porous and I use some but its shapes are kind boring. About RC. it is a great site but has over 1 thousand people online at one time and is world wide. The thing here is this site is very friendly and more close knit and local. many of us surf both places including my self so theres no ned for the little ''dig about AC'' as AZONIC mentioned. sometimes you'll get an answer here faster than RC because theres so many users and there ''search forum'' is down many many times unless you want to pay the premium member surcharge for the search function. AC, its free.Were just trying to have a user friendly CANADIAN site so your support would be appreciated.