Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Questions? Questions? Questions?

Hello everyone,

I need to know if anyone can help me with some questions about overflow. So here goes, I am going with a sump and overflow setup, and I asked Harley about an overflow and he said it would be around $40.00. Is 5'' by 5'' good enough? What kind of return flow do I need? I was thinking about going with something from the Mag series, what should I get? Should I go with a 1.5'' hole for my drain or smaller? Where do I find a standpipe? What else do I need for my overflow besides a hole and a standpipe and a bulkhead fitting? Sorry about all the questions but if anyone has any answers it would help.
    Scott

How big is your tank? how many overflows are you going to have one or two? My tank is 220 gallons and it has two over flows with 11/4 bulk heads as drains. As for the stand pipes I went to this site http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ It shows you how to build your own like I did, Or you can order them from that site as well. As for return flow, do you want to have lots of water movement through your sump? or do you want to have a genteller current so the detrius will settle in the sump.

In my tank I have a slow current through my sump so all the detrius will settle there and I can suck it out durring water changes. I make up for the rest of the flow in the main tank via power heads. HTH

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

cool site cable guy, answered a lot of my questions as well. Cheers:thumb:
    We need more Indians!

Very Basic Setup

Very Basic Setup

A picture says a thousand words Salty, thanks for the photo. With this setup will I be able to expand with some things like a top off system or a better protein skimmer or a calcium reactor? I just want a system that is capable of expansion in case I decide to go reef someday. Thanks for all the info everyone :
    Scott

Those other items you have just listed off are items that can and are best put in the sump. If the sump is big enough you can put what ever you want in it.
    Rob

Ivan says I can use the clear hose for my return. Any opinions, I can't find flex hose anywhere in a quantity less than 100'. Maybe I can get the clear hose and go with that. Thanks for the input.
    Scott

ijo
    we have 1", 1.5" and 2" flex instock... I'll see if I can find .5" and get back to you. The clear stuff will work(can be found at home depot sold by the foot).. I don't like using barbed fittings with hose clams as I find the connections can slip off over time.

IJO

try the hydroponic shops or Home depot. I know they sell clear hose buy the foot. Make sure you get the right size inside DIA. I would take the hose barb with you. Don't forget the Teflon take on those threads when the barb is put into the bulkhead fitting.
    Rob

I've never had a hose come off a barb when it is clamped. I think the trick is making sure the hose is all the way on the barb. Heat the end of the hose up in hot water for several minutes before you press it over the barb. Get the hose over at least 3 of the barbs ridges and put the clamp between the 2nd and 3rd ridge. Don't use the tubing with the reinforcing web in it or you will never get it on the barb properly. The stuff just has no give to it.
    Rob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast