Thread: ID please ...

ID please ...

Hi guys/gals

I spot that thing with the flashlight...soon as I approach the light it goes back in the hole realllllly fast...it's about 3 to 4 cm long!!!...i don't really have time to see exactly what it is....

pictures are from the top (stop the head and fan to take pictures best i could...)

ID will be really appreciate.

Best zoom i can get...

better picture...i think

Could it be a shrimp? The head looks like it, but it's hard for me to see if it has any other shrimp like parts...
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Please...if you know what it is...

Here's a new picture.

Lady P,

Try asking here. Ask Dr. Ron on Reef Central.

I asked a friend who really knows his stuff and he wasn't sure what it was. You should be able to get an answer there.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I'm pretty sure it is a species of bristleworm. Barry has a big one -like a foot long- in his tank. He feeds it spirulina tabs. The brown shiny part is the head right? And there are lots of feathery legs if I am seeing it right. THe head indicates that it is likely a predatory bristleworm with large jaws. If you can trap it , it is likely a good idea. BUT- I have a tank full of a different type of bad worm and really, if you can't catch it I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will scavenge most likely. I'll get Barry to take a look. If you can take out the rock and soak it in FW, or run FW into the hole it lives in, that will take care of it.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Hmmm- looking at it again- is it flat and wide, or long like a worm. It may be an isopod. Again though, check out the head. If you see big pincers, it is a predator most likely. If you don't see any big mouthparts, it is probably OK. And ask Dr. Ron for sure. I actually caught one of my EVIL WORMS and mailed it to him for id.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Thanks MomRules I will ask Dr Ron

It is hard to say if it's long or flat since it is hidding most the time and the place is hard to reach even for a clear view...

It is same color as the rock...perfect "mimetism"