Thread: Plastics

Plastics

I am planning on adding a sump tank and 2 fuge tanks. In the process I am looking at hoses and options for my sump tank. Are there specific types of plastics that should not be used? Do some leach chemicals? What is the the best type of hose to use?

From what I gathered it seems most people will use PVC plumbing for there returns and overflow's, thats what I will be using.

Im pretty sure its safe to use regular vinyl tubing as well as I have seen some people use it.

Also if your going to be building your sump, acrylic plastic would be the best choice, or a a glass aquarium with acrylic baffles...

Hope this helps!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Cool

for plimbing both ABS and PVC are good to use. vinyl is a pain and can grow algea inside from light entering and is just not that solid. I like PVC as its more proffesional looking and theres way more fittings but its more exspensive. Flex PVC is also good to use for returns.

Hey Johnny, good point, clear vinyl tubing, didn't think about it but yeah, algae could be a problem...

I also agree it looks more professional, I chose PVC right from the start, mainly at first because I saw almost everyone using PVC and some people use vinyl, so figured if lots of people use PVC, there must be a reason!!

AK

thanks for the advice jonny. I have looked at home depot and they have a black flex hose that they say is for water,pools and other things. Is this the flex PVC? any suggestions about where to find flex? I am going through a wall and down to the basement and think rigid PVC will be very difficult.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Ivan sells flex Pvc

I am new to the site. Who is Ivan?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Ivan is also known as IJO. You can PM him, or use the shopping option on the home page.

Ivan owns the store/forums, VERY friendly guy and excellent customer service!!

AK