Mel

overflow/plumbing question

I have a box that's about 6"X6" with teeth cut on all 4 sides at the top for the drain to the sump. It's connected to an elbow then a bulkhead with a hole through the rear glass, then another elbow, straight to the sump via 1 1/4" PVC. My return to the tank is 1" clear flexible tubing 4 1/2 ft. up that goes over the top of the tank to a spraybar. My return pump is a Pond Master? PJ5000 good for 1640 GPH. My question is what can I change this overflow box to something a little more appealing and how do I reduce the water draining sound that's fairly loud. Here's a pic of the ugly box:

Mel
    After doing some research, I decided to add a 1 1/4" ball valve on the line to the sump. I know the dangers involved with blockage of the line to the sump, but I will keep an eye on it for now. My plan was to fill the pipe with water, limited by the ball valve flow to sump and this should have filled the overflow box over the intake, but (of course!) the air has to now travel with the water in the full pipe. I think I'll add an air line to the pipe right through the intake so the air is drawn inside the plumbing, not at the box itself.

I have read about Durso and Stockman standpipes, but I don't know how effective they would be in my little 5" box and with the double 90 deg turns in the plumbing.

Any thoughts?

Restricting the drain is not a good idea (as you note). I would have thought that a Durso could work in that box, but ->

In terms of replacing the overflow box, I've been talking with Harley about getting him to make an overflow for me from acrylic. He might be able to help you with some ideas to accomodate the odd bulkhead placement.
    Nick