Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yet another reason to be informed

My husband and I went to one of our LFS's today, to pick up some new fish. My husband wanted a scooter blennie, but we were unsure as to what they eat (as we didn't do our homework). We asked one of the staff, who said "brine shrimp, and stuff that falls to the bottom". Unsatisfied with his answer, and the lack of selection, we went to the other LFS of the other end of town. The guy we usually deal with was not there, so we asked a different staff member, who gave us the same answer. Still unsure, we searched for a face that we recognized, who responded, "They are a type of dragonette, so they eat copepods and various bugs. If your tank has not been established for one year or more, this is not the fish for you." I am unsure as to how many people have left the store with a scooter, only to have it starve to death in a very short period of time. I, for one, am not upset if someone tells me that they are unsure, and verify the answer. I think most people would rather deal with someone who will acknowledge their deficeits and work to overcome them, instead of making up the answer of the fly.

Just my two cents.

Sara

PS: We got a Royal Gramma (to replace our MIA), and a mated pair of Longfin Fairy Wrasses. They seem to be settling in nicely.

Is that the 2 big als in ottawa?If so I find that they do not have very experienced staffs in and I find that there tanks and fish could be alot better,On the other side ,the big als in montreal have good informed staff and will get the right answer for and its very very clean and healthy fishes.Also they do 2 weeks min quarantined and write on their tanks that the fish is under quarantined.
    Derik...

Yes, those are ones I was talking about. The one in Kanata isn't too bad, depending on which staff you get, but the one inn the east end leaves a lot to be desired.

BIG ALS SUCK 0.02c :biglaugh2
    We need more Indians!

The only thing i like about big als is the one in montreal because they sell there IO salt for 59.99, 160 gal bucket
    Derik...

When I first started into salt water tanks, I made the mistake of buying a scooter blenny for my 10 gallon nano.... Let's just say it was a sad ending. At that time I was not aware of the vast information on these forums. Now I am alot smarter and wiser and I alway's reserch my puchases before I purchase them. These forums are literally a life saver.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

well said!!!!!!
    We need more Indians!

Hear hear!!

I agree with the above, howver, there are some scooter blenny's who learn to eat frozen foods. I bought a red one (stellate dragonet) about a year ago for my reef which was two years old at that time. She was a tiny little thing then and I remember wondering how I'd ever find her again in the tank. From the first day she ate bloodworms and has since progressed to eat pretty much anything I feed the tank. She's easily quadrupled in size since then and is quite plump. I had to move her to my new tank because she was nipping the tails of my mandarins - mandarins and scooters are both dragonets. The new tank has little to no live food but the scooter is doing fine because she eats frozen food.

That said I wouldn't accept anyone's word for it in a store. If an employee insists that any dragonet is eating frozen food I'd insist on seeing it for myself.
    Susan

The prices at BIG ALS are INSAne!!!!!!!! just ask Ivan to order it for you. every time I stop at big alls for something small I just shake my head at the prices. I went today to pick up some carbon pads and seen about 4 nice fish[angels and such] all sick and dieing with eyes all clouded over. purple tangs at $109!!!!!! ouch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast