Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What containers and where to get them

I'm almost ready to start mixing my water. I've only got a few more things to do until my aquarium is finished. Now I know I need to get either food grade plastic containers or glass containers to store the water in for mixing. I have a small 10G tank so I'd be using smaller containers. I would like to pick up a few containers. One or two for mixing salt water, one for my auto top off and one for RO/DI water. I need some advice on where to get them and how much can I expect to pay for them.

Thanks,

Steph

I use the water storage containers used for camping to store water in. They have a spout and hold 5 gallons each. They are about $10, and you can get them at Loblaws and Home Hardware or Canadian Tire. I also have some food grade buckets from Home Depot, but I don't remember how much they were. $5.00 or so.

Sara

Thanks for the quick reply sara. I'll head down to home depot today. Which department would I be able to find these in?

you could also use rubbermaid containers from wallmart, they are under $10 for 22g and come with lids.
    We need more Indians!

Good to know ... I'll check them out too. Do I need to look for anything specific or are they all safe for storing the water?

i think they are safe, ive read a few threads where people use them as sumps. they are also nicer too look at than buckets etc.
    We need more Indians!

is the rubbermaid roughneck gabage can ok to mix your salt water?
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

Originally posted by steve666
    i think they are safe, ive read a few threads where people use them as sumps. they are also nicer too look at than buckets etc.
    I use 2 of them for RODI and mixing and have had no troubles yet. (6months)

R

I also use the rubber maid container from wal mart and mix the water for both of my tanks at the same time (for my 15 gal and my 80 gal)... This seems to work GREAT for me and very cheap as well.

Hey some of us in Nova Scotia walk to the ocean and scoop our water up when we need more....just thought I would add that in.But am in the midst of finding a large drum(plastic) to hold water for winter months when I dont feel like walking in the icy water
    Bubbles....bubbles...my bubbles....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast