Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a problem?

If you use a freshwater tank and convert it into a SW?

I have heard mixed review...ie. trace elements (copper) may be left and cleaning will not get them off.

How likely is this?

Duncan
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Nice FISHY FISHY

:fish3:

Cool

I've heard people say that copper will penetrate the silicone and then be released. IMO, I don't really buy it but to be safe its easy just to cut out the inside seem of silicone, cleane really well with either vinigar or acetone and reseal.

i've heard mixed opinions as well.
    if it were me, i would prefer a new tank and the peace of mind that comes with it. the last thing i would want is to have a full reef and then learn that it wasnt such a good idea to use that tank. i like to do things that have the smallest chance of regret, after all, with all the time and money we put into our reefs, its not worth the risk.
    this is not saying you cant use it, just saying what i would do.
    and like johnny said, at the very least you should wash it out with vinegar.
    Albert
    My Photos

I think you should Put some vinagar in it and some lukewarm water brush and clean the inside......empty.....put some more vinigar,fill with luke warm water,leave overnight......empty,rinse,refiill and check for copper.....I Dont think that silicone absobs copper to the point that its in it complety.

When you add methylene blue or something like it,you see its stains the silicone but it doesnt complelty go through it,it mostly on the surface......

Thats what i think....correct me if I am wrong
    Derik...

Dr Ron has a method of sterlizing any container from well pretty much anything and specifically to rid something of heavy metals.

If you want to get the tank sparkling.... and safe to use.

Do this outside or in a VERY well ventilated place..

Fill your ol' 75 about 3/4 full of hot water. Pour in a gallon of muriatic acid. Fill the rest of the way with water. Drop in a power head and plug it in. Let it rip for about 2-3 hours. Drain it (it won't hurt septic systems).

Rinse well with fresh water, fill and drain at least twice.

Fill 3/4 of the way with hot water. Add 2 gallons of chlorine bleach (use the unflavored kind). Fill the rest of the way with water. Drop in the power head and let it rip for 2-3 hours.

Rinse well with fresh water, fill and drain at least twice. Add dechlorinator each time.

Upon completion of this, your tank will clean, sparkling and decontaminated from any potential metals or organic material contamination.

Be Careful! Both the bleach and the acid are corrosive (wear old clothes and gloves).

DO NOT MIX THE BLEACH AND ACID - IF YOU DO, IT WILL GENERATE CHLORINE GAS. THIS CAN RUIN YOUR DAY... MONTH... LIFE

Have fun....
    -Dazz

If there's trace amount in the seals leeching back into the water, I suspect just dripping kalk will solve the problem:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

It's been a while since chemistry class, but if I understand that article correctly, the copper adheres to the calcium carbonate and precipitates out of the water.

Then again, I'm finding the aquarium is the cheapest part of setting up a reef tank, so I also subscribe to the better safe than sorry school of thought.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'm converting my old 33 gallon fresh water into a quarantine for my salt water tank. I never really thought about it being a problem. I guess I may have to rethink my plans. I will probably end up clean the tank really well, and just use it anyway. Like I said it will be for quarantine, not a display tank. Medication may have to be used in the tank anyway to treat certain infections.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

DR Ron seams that have a good precedure...the only thing I don't understand is why use dechlorinator when ricing with fresh water?
    Derik...

I am sorry but I do not buy into this silicone releasing copper into the tank in any amount that would do any harm what so ever. Just HOW MUCH copper do they think is being used in fresh water tanks anyway??? Just empty the water out of the tank and give it a good scribing with a nylon bristled brush and some strong SALT water. Salt has a BLEACHING effect .. EH
    I also think it is a shame for anyone to be telling people to acid bath and chlorine bleach bath their tanks at unacceptable risk to them selfs to remove nearly untraceable amounts of copper if there is any there in the first place. And then dump that stuff into the cities waist water system. Give me a break. GGGG These are the kind of people who kill mosquitoes with hammers.
    Rob

Originally posted by volitan
    I think you should Put some vinagar in it and some lukewarm water brush and clean the inside......empty.....put some more vinigar,fill with luke warm water,leave overnight......empty,rinse,refiill and check for copper.....I Dont think that silicone absobs copper to the point that its in it complety.

When you add methylene blue or something like it,you see its stains the silicone but it doesnt complelty go through it,it mostly on the surface......

Thats what i think....correct me if I am wrong
    Well rob you made me think once again a little bit here and After all i dont think I am wrong, silinone cannot absorb anything especially 100% rubber silicone,It might stain it but nothing a good brush could clean......I say go with vinigar and warm water....
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast