Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Chromis

Green Chromis

I have a 46 gal bowfront with Aquaclear 500 and remora skimmer, plus power heads and LR. I have a six line wrasse and maroon clown. I was thinking of getting about 5 green chromis (in an aquarium they may get to be 2"), a small school.
    Does anyone have thoughts about this? Too much? Maybe 3 or 4?

Thanks,
    Mark

I really wanted to get some Green Chromis for my 10G tank. I had heard that they were unhappy in groups of less than 5 but have since then spoken with several people who keep less than 5 in a tank and say they do just fine. I'm not 100% sure if that would be too much of a load on your system but I don't think so. I'm planning 2-3 small fish (one neon goby, one chromis and/or a small clown) in my 10G so I would not think that 6-7 would be too much in a 46 G. Keep in mind I'm still new at this but I hope this helps. I love the Green Chromis they are really fun to watch and have great colors.

Steph

I don't see an issue with this. They are easy to keep, Hardy, Give the tank some activity and don't bust the bank to have a small school.
    Rob

They were really fun to watch in your tank OSD. I'm sure I'll end up with one in my tank

I looked into a school of them and these were my findings.

#1) they are not schooling fish, they shoal. What this means is if there is a larger fish then they will congrigate for protection, however, with out a larger more aggressive fish, they may not stay "schooling".

#2) out of all the threads I read about people having groups of them, it seems they need at least 5, preferably an odd number, and after the chromis matured a little, they became the nastiest fish in the tank, even picking on 12" fish. This I found to be in the vast majority of the threads. You have to remember, chromis are damsel fish.

#3) there were quite a few threads saying how they just ended up dissapearing 1 by 1.

So I decided to not get any.
    -Dazz

It's your call. I have 7 blue/green Chromis in my 100 gallon tank and they stay loosely together and have not bothers any of the other fish in the tank regardless of size.
    Rob

try 3 Steve .. 1 is a lonely number, 2 is fighting words ... 3 will work nicely. Get them small as you can to keep their bio load low .. at least in the beginning anyway.
    Rob

Indeed, I'm not trying to be a downer , just sharing my research experience.
    -Dazz

Not a downer Dazz. All information is useful. I could put my 7 blue/green Chromis in a 50 gallon tank and they could turn into a roaming gang of thugs. That's the thing about fish and this hobby. No 2 fish or even the same fish will respond the same way in different circumstances. Good Fishy today ... BAD fishy tomorow.
    Rob

I have two in my 55 with the pair of maroons and they are fine. Perfect citizens, always sticking together. But I am thinking about adding somemore of them all the same just to see if I can get a school. They're cheap and hardy and I think that they are a great to leanr good fish husbandry skills with. But hey thats just my 2 centrs worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast