Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's a question...

DOes anyone know if amphipods can have a back that is reddish-brown and white striped? I noticed this little critter the last two nights in the same place within one of my LR. It is rather large at about 1/4 inch and long legs. The only identifying feature that I can see is his strangely colored back. As I said, it is reddish-brown striped alternating with white (or his natural colour). Because of his size, I am beginning to think that it may not be an aphipod but I really don't know how large they can get. Also, from what I can tell, he has no defense mechanisms, i.e. no claws, appendages (other than legs) or mandibles like a mantis!

Any ideas?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

You got any pics of that thing ?

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Unfortunately, it is too small (for my measly 2.1 mp) and the crevice that it sits in will not allow for a camera to take a picture. It looks exactly like an amphipod except for the coloration basically.
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Beats me!! How does it move- jerky or does it sway back and forth at all and does it have any tentacles or discerneable bigger front claws?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

As I said it looks exactly like an amphipod 'cept for the coloration. It also moves exactly like an amphipod...lol looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...lmao except it isn't the right colour unless they aren't necessarily meant to be one colour?
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

If nobody can answer you,and dr ron doesnt help you,Here a link an emai address to ATJ.He helped me out often and very easy to deal with,try him out

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/

atj777@attglobal.net
    Derik...

see if you can find it on this site:
    http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks for that Volitan...After looking at all that, I think it may be some sort of amphipod after all. Now I just need to figure out if it's dangerous!
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

I checked that out too, Alrha and I still think it's some sort of amphipod! Thanks everyone!
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

did you get a hold of ATJ? usually he answer pretty quick...he is excellent with disease also.....Maybe keep his website in your favorite
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast