Thread: ph 7.8???

ph 7.8???

My GF toldme that the ph is 7.8 on my tank.She added buffer but it keep getting back to 7.8,7.9......I only have fish and stars,and urchins in there.....I think its time for a water change,I shut down my skimmer 3 weeks ago.....I got a new lifereef and they shipped grnd for 4 to 6 weeks....I am pissed.....I guess they made a mistake.....I am home in 5 days so i will take care of everything

Anyhow anybody see a big problem with 7.8,7.9 for another 5 days?
    Derik...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Check the pH level in the morning and at night.
    Usually the pH will be lower in the morning.
    If it's lowest reading is 7.8, then I think you should be fine with what she is currently doing until you get back.
    Then do a waterchange and slowly bring your pH level back up.

Check your Alk level while you're at it. Low alk makes it more difficult to maintain a stable pH within the recommended levels.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I will check it for sure I have some brand new test kits just waiting to be used at home.....thanks tang man
    Derik...

let her add a balanced 2-part like B-Ionic till you get back.
    7.8 is not terrible, as long as its not getting lower than that. let her check it in the morning to see what the low is. if possible, have her add the buffer when lights are out and pH is droping.
    Albert
    My Photos

If you have no corals, the fish won't really care about a ph of 7.8- the stars and urchins won't care much either for the next several days
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I agree, 7.8 is nothing to worry about with the critters you have. Rather than risk another problem I'd leave it alone until you get home.
    Susan

Thanks guys.....Its actually 7.87 to 7.90....Its sucks that my orps probe died on me....It is a good indication of the tanks heatlh when i am away.I had the monitor not even one month and the readings were minus 167(-167)

Very odd but I have to pack it up and send it back to american marines and they will give me a new one
    Derik...

Probably just a manufacturing defect. I guess if you make enough probes you're bound to get a bad one sooner or later. Of coures it would have to be sold to someone who has to go out of town for a month
    Susan

yes and he wanted to charge me by prorating my probe....and i convinced him to ge me a new one....well a 3 week old monitor.......He better give me a new one cause i am selling all my monitors and getting a aquacontroller....nice excuse to get the aquacontroller:lol:
    Derik...