can you mix salts?

just a quick question for all you guru's out there, can you mix different types of salt ie. crystal salt and instant ocean? will there be any problems associated with this?

thanx guys.

No there would be no problem with doing this EXCEPT that consistency in the key to success and you may not be able to duplicate the mixture again. It is also best when mixing to mix up the entire package at one time. At least that was the way it used to be. The requirement for this being that the manufacture can only really predict the waters chemical makeup what it is ALL mixed into one batch. If you want to use two salts I would if I were you mix them up separately to produce 2 batches of the ratio you desire and then mix the 2 batches of water together. This way in future you can duplicate it again. Example 10 pre-mixed gallons of one with 5, 8 or whatever pre-mixed gallons of the other.

i have been using crystal sea salt and have recently obtained some io from a friend in the trade, i only had a small amount of the cs left so i was going to mix this with the new io, and then use io, i figured with a few small water changes this would be ok.
    if this would be detrimental to the tank i would continue to use cs and return the 160g io salt (which i got very cheap). What would you recommend rob?
    We need more Indians!

if this is not to be an ongoing situation just mix the left over cs salt together and use it up. I would not see a big issue with this. The full blown change over to the io should be done slowly and carefully over time.
    Rob

thanx:biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    We need more Indians!

why not just finish it up and then switch over? should be fine.
    Albert
    My Photos

ALRHA .. I am thinking he dose not have enough of the sc salt to do the next scheduled water change. Otherwise YES he should just use it up and then start a long slow careful change over to the io salt. A lot of people have had issues that they believe are the result of switching salt brands all at once.
    Rob

ok. so then just finish it up, and then do the rest of the water change the next day, no?
    i would just hesitate to mix them directly as ther compositions may somehow react to each other (not likely and i read a thread on RC saying its not a problem) but i feel like the mixes are made to mix with their own kind and may react differently when mixed with something different.
    Albert
    My Photos

Yes he could also do that but myself included I would not want to have to setup for a water change 2 days in a row. My response was geared to the first post that asked "can you mix salts". I would still suggest he not make a change as suddenly as it now appears he wants to do. I don't have any retail bags of salt here to check but in the past the bags always said in the instructions that the entire contents of the bag should be mixed up all at once. This however is often not practical unless you need the whole batch or can store it. So I would suggest ... that more of the cs be bought and the two resulting waters be combined after they are mixed individually. then reduce the amount of the CS that is involved over several water changes.
    Rob