Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dither fish?

Dither fish?

While keeping dwarf cichlids I noticed that the fish were always hiding and would scramble when anyone got near the tank so I added dither fish(giant danios), within a few hours the cichlids came out and remained in the open water.

Now the same thing is happening with my hippo/yellow tang and cardinalfish. Instinctively they should know that if there are many dither fish, that they are likely to be safe and come out to swim. What do you think? I'd like something small in a group of maybe 6-8.

Any suggestions
    James

Yes, that will happen in a saltwater tank too.
    I love your avatar by the way. Who's the goofy guy?..., and who's the dude bopping to the music?:

So what would suggest as a dither fish Toutouche?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

That's a tough call because it becomes a personal choice. You need something that is not shy itself or it would be a moot point and since you would get a couple of them, it would also have to be something you want to keep too. Many people use a few green or blue Chromis but I find these too common. Anthias are a fish that really school and are always out, but only after they have settled in. They will hide sometimes in the beginning.

how about some cardinal fishes....they are nice and hardy..or some damselfish
    Derik...

Toutouche, it looks like a Muppet but I've no clue really. I thought you should have kept "The Ring Girl" one, it was really "kewl". The Chromis is as you said too common. Anthias might be a good choice, how many would I need in order for them to school?

Volitan, I was told not to add damselfish because they are mean buggers. I have 2 of them in a small tank because I was told they wouldnt be good tank mates for the tangs but im sure they would enjoy the bigger tank.

Yeah, I agree about the damsels too. I'm not the Anthias expert as I have never kept any yet. You have to however be ready to keep Anthias. They aren't the easiest to keep. I really don't know what another alternative easy dither fish would be.

While green and blue chromis are quite common have you thought of purple or yellow chromis? There a little harder to come by but people usually go "cool I never seen em in that color! What are ya feedin em anyway?"

Just a thought. They'd be my choice.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Anthias will school and are beautiful, but to have a school of them you'll have to have a very large tank. There are only a few anthias that will be alright in a smaller tank. Also as Toutouche said, they aren't the easiest to keep and the smaller the anthias, the harder they are...not to mention the more expensive they are, some are in the in the $100s of dollars. Because of their requirements I don't think they're a good choice as a dither fish.

How about a chalk bass? They school, look cool, are easy to keep, and stay very small. They aren't very common and they aren't expensive.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Chalk bass... I wonder where I could see them live, they look interesting. What about Atlantic Pygmy Angels, anyone have experience with them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast