Unhappy info on sumps please

Call me stupid if you want but I've never had a sump. Living on the rock we don't have much in the way of info about them. The lfs guy says that they are only a headach. I know you can surf the web for days and get all kinds of info but I though maybe some personal experience from some fellow reefers would be more helpful.

I plan to set up a 50 gal and the only "spare tank" that will fit in my stand is a 10 gal. I guess that I could buy a 20 gal if need be. Is it worth setting up a 10 gal? Also does anybody know a good place to get step by step info on setting one up?

I have a lot of stupid questions like:

Do you still use filters when you have a sump?

Do you have to have an Overflow on your tank?

How do you even start to set one up?

Please HELP!!!!!:help:
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Piatchie,

A sump is basically a place to hold all your equipment (ie: skimmer, heater(s), etc) so that they are not viewable in the display area. They also add to your water volume, making for a more stable system. Many people dose needed chemicals in the sump so that it is slowly distributed into the main display without shocking your livestock.

Sumps are not "headaches" as your LFS guy mentioned. To me, they are considered an integral part of a reef system.

Briefly stated, water will overflow from your display down to your sump, where it goes through your skimmer, carbon, heating, etc. before returning back to your display through an appropriate sized pump.

Try to buy a tank with a built-in overflow. Hang-on overflows are prone to failure, so stay away from those.

Typically, the display is about 4ft from the ground, where your sump is located. Properly matching a pump, taking into consideration headloss isn't too hard, but a critical aspect of a properly functioning sump. A Mag7 would probably fit the bill perfectly. A Mag7 pushing 4ft of head height gives you about 475gph when all is said and done. A 1" bulkhead in your overflow can easily accomodate that amount of flow.

You want to set up as big a sump as possible. This allows you to place more equipment in the sump, as well as allowing for extra water capacity for times such as when the power goes out. In the event of a power outage, water will siphon back down into your sump. This is why it is a good idea to have anti-siphon holes in your return pipes at the display. An anti-siphon hole consists of a small hole just below the water level in the display tank on your return plumbing from the sump. In the event of a power outage, Water will siphon down to your sump until it reaches the anti-siphon hole, where air will break the siphon.

How's that so far?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

sort of makes sense. I already have my tank though and it doesen't have an overflow. Again my lfs guy talked me out of it. Should I just get another tank or is there another option?

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You could always have the back of the tank drilled for an overflow, however if you still are able to exchange the tank for one with an overflow, I would say that is your best option.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Another reason why NFLD SUCKS! Nobody around here can drill my tank and guarentee not to break it. Don't know if I want to take that chance maybey I could just order another and see if the lfs guy will credit me back for this one.

I think it is standard at glass shops that they won't guarentee not to break a tank when drilling it. Not a Nfld issue.
    Nick

there is alot of information about sumps on here and reefcentral.com... to make one look in the diy sections ppl use small glass tanks, make them outta acrylic.... i even seen ones that don't need holes drilled out of the tank but i wouldn't recommend those kind (better chance of flood) ... what lfs did ya go to cause when i was down there i went to one that the store owner was pretty knowledgable