Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

getting rock or fish from the USA

ok just wondering how this is done.... like do you always have to pay a brokerage fee or do you just pay the customs fee plus shipping? looking for some examples of only good service please lol i know alot of ppl have had bad expericences:grab: also does it matter the province you get it shipped to? just thinking more of live stuff like rock and fish ...blah blah

Many places will not ship to Canada due to customs regulations and/or hassles. Live rock is extremely difficult, as it needs a CITES permit to be transported. This runs about $200US, give or take. www.cites.org

There are many reputable online distributors in Canada. Have you tried any of them?
    There's www.jlaquatics.com
    www.mops.com
    and of course, last but not least, everyone's favourite, Ivan. Right here, on this site. He is getting Vanuatu and Tonga branch on the 9th, and possible Marshall the next week. If there are fish you want, he can usually get them in for you. The customer service is beyond excellent. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will pipe in soon.

Is there a particular reason you want to order from the States, or just lack of product here?

actually i'm just doing a little research into this.... yes i know all those sites and have heard nothing but good stuff about Ivan :chatter: but these places must get it from somewhere ....so am i to assume that cause these are retail outlets that there is and actual wholesaler of marine stufff in canada?

I'm not sure where they get it from, but I assume from a distibutor in the States, thus the prices. I know BigAls gets their's grom the US, as does J&L (I think), so that's probably where most of it comes from. You could pm Ivan and ask him. He would probably have a better idea. A lot of people on this site order split their order with people nearby, thus saving on shipping costs.

ok thanks sara ... when i was talking with the owner of the LDFS (long distance fish store) 2 hours away he mentioned a shipment of fishies that was comming in from the west, origin not from canada and they had problems with shipping cause it was sept 11 (yeah that dreaded day for airplanes and buildings) and lost everything cause it stayed in Calgary for a couple days. but i forgot to ask how he gets them ... i was still absorbing all the knowledge he was telling me about reefkeeping. his store had the most awesome reef display tank huge too. he took me to every tank and explained anything i wanted to know about what was in it. so now unless i travel 2 hours it's kinda hard to talk to a friendly store owner like that. maybe later after i do some house stuff i will try pm'in Ivan ... if anyone else has any info i would apperciate it... i love trolling these boards could read forever on this stuff
    :smokin: :thanx:

well you basically have 3 routes, UPS, FEDEX, or DHL. I would go the UPS route. If you ship air red priority next day by 8 am (really expensive) there will be no brokerage fee's because it's included in the price and that goes with all of their air shipments. You will have to pay customs 7% but that is better than paying both taxes (PST) so you save another 7.5%. Before shipping what so ever contact the brokerage dept and explain to the rep what you want to ship and to put it on her priority list(i always do that). Once you have your shipping # call her and she will take care of the rest. The is a huge advantage of ordering from the US NOW. The exchange rate is only 1.20. Many distruibutors and resellers do not reflect this in their prices. I recently went to california and there is a store that has really nice Marshall rock cured and they will sell it for 6.99/lb US but if you buy 100lb they will prob drop the price to 5.99. Honestly, it's up to you to make your own calculations and decide which avenue is better.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

thanks mike....but as sara was saying about that "cites" permit does not apply when it's from ups or another. think i will call a courier service to see about different aspects of this also. but experiance of actually doing it is 10 times better than someone from a company saying it's this way and that way cause we all know unless they experianced it ... they really might give out wrong info... thanks again mike

It doesn't matter how it's delivered. It matters that live rock is considered "species not necessarily at risk of extinction, but which in trade myst be controlled in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival". Another tricky point is that the permits must be filled out by the exporter and the goods can and probably will be inspected by US Customs/Wildlife AND Canada Customs.

so .... so far the best bet would be talk with #1 courier service #2 canada customs #3 us customs ... get everything i writing hahahaha ... then who ever you order it from ... what a can of worms.... just i hate brokerage firms ... wow i bought a cd worth 20 U.S. and it ended up costing me 70 CND .... brokerage fees blow chunks... so yeah it does matter how it's shipped also

Sara has that right. You need to export the CITES species from the US and then show that export permit to Canada Customs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast