Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chromis stung by bta?

Three days ago, I got a beautiful bta. The first night it moved to a new location and has been there ever since! It looks very happy and it feeds well. The problem is that I think one of my chromis got itself stung by it. For two days, this little fish has been swimming in a vertical position, always on one of the four corners of the tank. His colour has gone from a beautiful green, to a smokey green. I try to drop food right on top of him so he can at least have access to it. He hasn't had much but has tried to get some. I have a feeling he may have been stung because the water param's check out, temp is fine, and all the other fish are doing great. (The coral banded even molted last night) Is his behaviour typical of an anemone sting? or is there something else going on?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Usually when fish loose color and swim up and down the corners of the tank it is a sign of stress. Is he being picked on by any other fish in the tank. When i first added my 9 Chromes to my tank if one got separated from the rest it would panic and behave oddly. Once back with the gang it was OK. I noticed that if this lost fish tried to rejoin the others from the front it was not allowed to do so. It could only join from behind. Sounds silly but he could just be stressed by being alone.
    Rob

Sometimes the dottyback will pick but not so much so that it would stress the fish out. She tends to chase them once and quickly lose interest. I really don't think this is a a fish that has been picked at. It may be a possibility that the other chromis drove him out of the school, I dunno. The chromis were the first fish added to the system and this chromis only started behaving this way after I added the bta which is why I am thinking it could be a burn.
    On a side, OSD, I had a feeling you would be the first to jump to my aid! Thanks!
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Is it possible that the BTA has come to rest where this fish used to sleep? I have noticed that my chromis all sleep in different places and when the lights go on they each come out 1 by 1 to join up in a school. It could be that he has lost what he called home.
    Rob

All my chromis tend to just swim all night around the intake pipe of my filter. They kind of freak me out actually. Seems like they are too scared to relax at all. But of what I have no idea! lol The bta was attached to a rock when I purchased it so it was a new spot created for it and wouldn't have interferred with any sleeping spots. It only moved to the other side of the rock into a crevice that actually is the sleep area of the dottyback. But she enters her spot from the other side and is aware that the bta is there, I hope!
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Do you have a night light over the tank? Fish like a little bit of light to see they way well enough to find a place to rest overnight.
    Rob

hmmm, interesting I never knew that and no I don't have one near the tank. I will have to steal my daughter's tonight and plug it into the kitchen! As far as this little chromis though, do you think it might have been the bta that stung it?
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

It is possible but I would be more inclined to think that he got himself sucked onto the intake that you say they hang around at night. Are there any marks on him at all? Any other signs of illness?
    Rob

Nada! Just a loss of colour and vertical swimming. I just checked on him and he seems to have horizontaled (I know that's not a word) his swimming and he doesn't seem as stressed. Could he possibly be coming around? Since I got the bta I have placed sponge over all the intakes so I don't think is was that.
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Even dummer... maybe he saw his reflection in the glass and guessed he was already in the school or trying to join it.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast