Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go

Here we go

Hey:

Well, its that time for me to start taking down the aquariums here to move them to Halifax.....

Just one quick question before I commence this morning with packing everything up.

Will my fishes and corals be alright in a rubbermaid bin for the next couple of days with a powerhead and airstone? Get to get them out of the tanks, movers are coming in tomorrow morning....

For flying them home in a couple of days, how many heat paks would you recommend for each cooler. Dimensions are 36x24x24?

Any input, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

Rick

I would check with Ivan, Rick. He ships them all the time.

Good luck!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Thanks Gail...any other thoughts out there?

I agree with Gail.... Check with Ivan. From working at the lfs I would have to say that the placement of your heat packs is also importent. We got an order in a couple of months back from Singapore and they had placed the heat pack on the top of the box, outside of the styrofoam. All the fish were freezing when they got to us and we lost over 40% of the order!

As for the rubbermaid Bin, I had some freshwater fish in one for three months one time. My 40gal tank developed a serious leak and it took the lfs almost that long to get a new one in. I lost one to my cat but other then that they were fine. Of course marine fish are a little more fragile then Killie Fish but I would think if you keep your eye on them they would be o.k. Don't hold me to it though. Your always taking a chance when you move your fish around!!!

BEST OF LUCK
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I was thinking about lining the bottom of the cooler with a thin layer of foam and placing the heat pak under there so that its not in direct contact with the fishes and corals.

As for the LR it is going to be packaged in the same manner, but shipped via cargo on the same day. LR will be placed in QT for a while to make sure that it is fully cycled again before going back into the display tank...

I know that I am taking a chance, but if I take the time to do this right I can minimize the stress on everyone...including self. After all they should only be pckg'd like this for about 8 hrs total 12 max....everything is arriving to an established tank

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

I have a friend who ordered LR from away and they wraped each piece individually with foam. Sounds like a big PITA but it will minimize any breaking while being shipped. We all know how well the airlines take care of our packages. JMO though. I guess it depends on how much you love you rock!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Morning:

Well, I did a dry run with the coolers and the heat paks. 2 heat paks in the cooler keep the temp at a consistant 78-80 degrees, the bottoms are lined with some foam and the paks are placed under there.

This temp should be ok for the fishes right? For anyone that have received fishes from on online retailer, would you happen to know what the temp of the water when it arrived to you?

Just want to make sure that I have room for some temp flucuations. I am anticipating that these poor guys will be bagged for 8 hours at the max.

The LR is packed in the same manner except wrapped in cloth, drenched with tank water, no heat paks. Is it advisable to put heat paks in with the LR as well?

Any other worldly advice is appreciated.

Have your fishes pray for their relatives.

Thanks

Rick

Hey Rick,

sounds like you got it thought out. if u did you're dry run in the house i'd add an extra heat pack or two to your fish and corals. you'll loose some heat during the shipping process, and cargo bays on planes can get cold. all the mail orders i've received have been a touch on the cold side. so adding an extra one or two will help keep the temp up over the 8 hours. and it probably wouldn't hurt if u added one or two to the live rock either.

good luck with the move, and if u need any help with your tank when u hit halifax give me a call. (222-8359)
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks Barry, very nice jesture, I appreciate that...

sounds like a plan to me.
    like gail said, it will likely need more heat packs than in your house considering that it will be much colder. the advantage you have is that normally when ordering online, the fish are shipped over-night, but in your case, you will be getting them the same day - thats less time for things to go wrong.
    is there a way to bag them with extra oxygen?
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast