Strawberry Conch

Hey all,

I was wondering how big the strawberry conch gets? I'm looking for a conch for my nano it's a 10G. I've read that the fighting conch would be a good conch for a small tank but I've found no information on how large the strawberry conch gets.

Thanks,

Steph

A search turned up the following thread at RC: Strawberry Conch thread at RC The only reference I can find in it is 1 inch or 3 inches.

I just got one from Ivan, and it was a little over an inch long. I have not seen the shell since I put him in. From reading the above thread, they stay under the sand so I am not surprised. I have seen its "eyes" sticking above the sand. It looks kinda neat. I got him on Saruday and he has cleaned about 4 square inches of algae off the sand surface since then.

I am not sure if you 10g will provide sufficient food source on the sand bed.

Thanks for the link reefmania ... thanks for the info also

My pleasure.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

I have 3 strawberry conchs, they are each 3" long. I'm pretty sure this is as big as they get as my oldest one hasn't grown in the last few years. To be honest I don't think you're going to be able to keep even a fighting conch in a tank that small. They need quite a bit of open sand space.
    Susan

I've read some posts on the nano forum at reefcentral of people who have a conch in a 10G. I know you've had alot of experience when it comes to conchs so I'll probly steer clear of them. What would you suggest for sand sifting then? I have an argonite sand substrate.

Nassarius Snails, They spend most of their time hiding in the sand bed. When you feed the tank you will see them emerge with their little trunk like nose(proboscis) sticking out of the sand. They get no bigger than 1 inch I believe. They are a great little snail.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Agreed - nasarrious snails are great, they eat left over fish food, detritus, fish poo. I'd also recommend cerith snails. They are also tiny and stay in the sand but eat algae. Between the two of them they should keep your sandbed in good shape.
    Susan

Good info. I'll be getting a batch of those guys