Thread: Tank janitors

Mel

Tank janitors

I'd like to add some snails and/or crabs to my 90G to help with the algae and waste materials.

The tank is a few years old but was moved recently and about 50% of the water was transferred. I have developed some dark red/purple algae on the higher rocks and surfaces facing the lights. This algae is too soft and spongy looking to be coralline in my opinion. It actually looks ok but I don't want it to cover the whole place. I also have a problem with green algae. It seems to be about the same makeup of the red/purple stuff but it's green, has no preference where it grows (rock, glass, etc) and there's more of it.

I have read that I have to increase flow and lighting (intensity) to help control the algae which I am taking steps to do but when the situation comes under control, I want to keep it that way with some critters to eat the stuff. I also read some conflicting reports about what janitors to buy and what's safe. I currently have a yellow and hippo tang, a false perc, 2 blue/green chromis, an ebili's angel, an anthias (peach I believe) and a cleaner shrimp.

Any suggestions?

I don't pretend to be an expert, but it seems like you have some cyano... We are missing alot of information about your setup...

Have a look at those few things:

Are you extracting alot of skimmate with your skimmer?
    Do you perform frequent water changes?
    Do you use tap water?

The last one is pretty important.

Have a look at this article from the library:
    http://www.aquariacanada.com/library...0Control.shtml

Regards,

-yvest

Mel
    Yeah, I believe it's cyano as well from what I've been reading. My skimmer is extracting "some" skimmate but I'm guessing it's not much. I clean the cup once a week and it is dry, dark bubbles. I use only RO/DI from my Aquasafe that's only 1 month old. I do 10% weekly water changes. I have recently broken the valve on my Eheim canister which was media-free used only for flow and it did seem to coincide with that loss in flow.

Thanks for the reply. I can research the algae solutions but I am reading some conflicting reports on how many and what types of janitors to use. I also should mention that I have no substrate (yet). This will probably change people's opinion on which types of snails/etc.