Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ottawa Big Als East

Never buying Marine fish from them again. I recently bought two ocellaris clowns from the Big Als on Innes Rd. When I got home I noticed them scratching against my rocks. Within 2 days they both die. I've tested my water and everything is perfect. My tank has been running for 2 years and all my fish are fine.

So I return to big als to see if I can get any type of a credit back. They asked me about my water parameters, if my tank was cycled. I then asked them to test their water, their salinity was below 1.020 and their nitrates were at 40 PPM. The worker there even told me that the fish are lucky if they get fed once a week. The worker there told me that he isn't allowed to give me a credit but to speak to the manager. Despite their tank's condition, the manager refused to give me a credit for their overpriced clowns.

Big Als SUCKS !!!
    Newbie in training

Their tanks are disgusting! I was there the other day and I saw not 1 not 2 but 13 dead fish in their tanks. I am never going to buy livestock from that store. The one in Kanata is way better. I find it pretty sad to see all those dead fish in their tanks.

Forgot to mention that I counted at least 7 freshwater tanks that had fish with Ich, and 5 other tanks that had no stickers on them meaning that they were sick.
    Newbie in training

I feel awfull evertime I leave that place. So many dead fish ... that could have easily survivied. I'm not even talking about fish that are hard to keep ... I'm talking about damsels! One of the most hardy if not hardyest marine fish. It's just plain bad business to keep unhealthy tanks. I will NEVER buy livestock from big als ottawa east.

Can you say Better Business Bureau ?!?!?!?!?

Im seriously disturbed to hear such a thing....Especially when you know for a fact that their water quality is not up to par. Personally I would not have accepted the answer they gave you.

In all the times I went to Big Al's, I have ALWAYS seen at least 1-3 dead fishes in their S/W tanks (I never check F/W so I don't know about em..). I just find it plain ridiculous that they did not even give you a credit. I would seriously take this up with the BBB.

I wonder if I take pics of the horrible tanks with dead fishes at Big Al's and send em up to Aquarium Services HQ, wonder if they would even care...

Im disgusted...

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Oh almost forgot, there is a LFS review portion on this site, I strongly suggest you add your review about this location to the DB. As far as it goes now I think on 5-7 reviews they are rated 2 stars, not very impressive AT ALL!!!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Big Als East Sucks... I've spent over $3000 their in equipment, and I can never stock my tank from that place. Fish are always dying, they stock the ugliest corals. A lot of the staff in the east end is ok, but 1 or 2 are really big assh*les.

Big Als West is a bit better I find, but not by much. Their stores were a lot better before them moved into their new locations ... they actually would stock some half decent corals and fish.... and maintin the tanks to a LFS reasonable level.

175G Bowfront
    3 250W MH
    200lbs LR

I never bought livestock from them and never will,everytime i went there there fish were looking ugly..there staff are not very knowlagable
    Derik...

Had similar problems with the one here in Mississauga...They have a customer contact number on their site 1-888-824-4257 or contact Derek ...derekz@bigalsonline.com. Derek ended up being a mediator between myself and the dumb a** manager Mark that they have here in the Sauga location.

Mark denied ever speaking to me...long story short...I wrote letters to the BBB and Consumer Affairs..copy him on everything....I bet you get an answer in 24hrs.

In terms of the original problem, I thought it was common in this business to not offer a 'stay alive' warranty? Low salinity for fish is also common in stores and nitrates of 40 shouldn't do serious harm to fish. I'm not sticking up for the store's conditions (I've seen similar things during my visits). But, it might be hard to make a complaint stick.
    Nick

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast