Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RO/DI setup

RO/DI setup

Hey guys,

I just got my RO/DI system in the mail today, very exciting.....and it is used so it doesn't really come with any instructions. It has a black cord which I assume is to plug into the laundry faucet. It also has a blue cord and a yellow cord. I think the yellow cord is a bypass because it is connected to the long white tube on the top of the unit...not sure though...need help here. But there is also a white tube which snakes it's way through the canisters and then to the final filter. I wish I had a camera, it would be easier to explain.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the filter is supposed to look like when it is shot because I have no clue but it does look like it has like a brown stain on it or something.
    Any ideas??

Last but not least, I don't know how many stages it is. It has 3 large clear vertical canisters on the bottom, and 1 white long horizontal canister on the top that reads "Reefpure.net" Maybe I should check out there website but anybody that has any experience with RO units, all advice would be helpful.

P.S. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my laundry faucet has sort of a bronze, copper look to it, is there a problem with this piping? Does anybody else hook up there RO systems to there laundry faucets? Thanks a lot guys.
    Scott

Get a picture for us

I don't know what the filter looks like when it's shot.

The 3 vertical canisters are the pre filters the water goes through them before the ro membrane. From the ro membrane it goes through the di resin. I was wondering if you have 1 or 2 horizontal canisters? You should have one for the ro membrane and one for the DI resin ... well at least that's how mine is. I got my unit from aquasafecanada.

The standard way to plug the ro/di units is to use a valve that pierces the pipe under the sink. If I'm not mistaken those pipes are copper ... but don't quote me so I don't think it's a problem to hook it up to your laundry faucet.

Hope this helps,

Steph

well, it turns out that "reefpure.net" doesn't exist!! ummm...there is only one horizontal canister on the top of the unit, it has one white input and 2, 1 white and 1 yellow, outputs. The black cord has a sort of threading on one end like for an outside faucet (or a laundry faucet) and the other end goes into the "in" end of one of the vertical canisters.
    Scott

The horziontal canister has a "good water" and a "waste water" output most likely. On mine the yellow is the waste and the white is the good water. The black chord is your feed water ... so like you said from the faucet to the RO unit. It does not seem as though your unit has a DI compartment though. If you can post a picture I might be able to get a better idea.

Your RO/DI has only 4 stages.

Check the following thread for more info regarding hooking up to your laundry faucet:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...hlight=ro%2Fdi

If it only has 4 stages that unfortunately means it won't be doing RO/DI but just RO filtration :-(
    Nick

Is there anyway I can buy a DI to make the unit better? Also, when I do hook up the faucet adapter how do I determine what temperature and pressure I need? Thanks.
    Scott

Use cold water. The pressure needs to be over 40 psi to be effective. Just get a TDS meter and test the water and you'll see if it's effective.

Where can I find a TDS meter?
    Scott

Here in aquaria.ca has the in-line TDS meter. I've got one:
    http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=351

I believe the optimum temperature is 72F. The cooler the slower the output. Right from the tap in my house, the water is 58F - quite cold. So I looped up about 25ft tube (before the pre-filter) and put it in a 2.5G bucket with a 100 watts heater and set the heater to 82F. It turns out just 72F throughout the RO/DI water production period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast