Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blenny stuck on power head, will he survive?

my blenny got stuck in the intake of my power head last night. I think he got stuck for a short period of time less than 30 min. My power heads are partially blocked with egg crate sticking out of the intake. He had a bit of blood on him and was still alive when i unplugged it. He swam away and then went hiding in the rocks and i cant find him any more? what are the odds of survival? The worst out of this is that i have done 3 big water changes in the past week to lower my nitrates and now if he dies i will have to start all over.

liv
    sad to hear about that, time will tell if he survives.
    Blennies are usually really strong fish.
    you should try to add better protection to the intake whole.
    depending on the powerhead you use, most have little coned attachments or filter attachments.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I'm not sure what his chances are but hopefully he'll survive. I had this happen with two false perc's in a period of about a month. The smaller one didn't make it, but the larger female is still thriving - months later. After the accident I replaced my Hagen Powerheads (that had no protection for the fish) with Maxi Jet 1200's. Like Liv said they have a small coned attachement that prevents this from happening to your livestock. Good luck!

This just happen to me with a gramma. I left it in the tank over night b/c he was so weak something nibbled on his tail and had to be removed.

After 3 days treating him for a baterica infection the struggle was over.

Bust of luck

I was told that if there internal damanage then it really hard to make it. If they are just oxygen starved then they may be a chance

honestly, i have been in the hobby since july, invested over 6000$, and i am getting pissed off at this hobby. i have lost due to power heads, 1 chromis, 1 clown, 1 bubletip anemone and now 1 blenny. I also lost a PTB due to unknown reasons. I have had nitrates problems which were a hassle and now if the blenny is dead, i will have to start everything all over with the watrer changes. Just last night i was thinking that everything was going well, nitrates were low, got my new euroreef skimmer to replace my POS Berlin. I dont want to sound like a nagger but this tank has been nothing but trouble since i got it and i hope this will stop soon. 1 thing i am gonna do is remove all my power heads...NO MORE.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

hey mike!!!

I know it's real fustrating! I had a lot of trouble when I started out too. Just have some patience. I think it's normal to loose a couple of fish in the begining. As for Anenemes.....I've lost 7 in total......I'm just giving up on them altogether. My clown can sleep on the rock.

Give it time.....It'll be worth it in the end....Promise!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Mike your not the only one.. I have 2 tanks going my 80 gal and a 15 gal my 80 gal is fine (knock on wood) but nothing but problems with the 15 gal... things are slowly stabalizing but it takes time.. Trust me I've been where you are right now wanting to scrap everything... But it's much easier to just give up then to hang in there and BEAT IT!! maybe wait a bit to add any fish in the tank.. I've lost an anemone, cowfish, royal gramma, majestic angel and fire fish due to accidents in the tank.. Power head fish eatten by anemone and so on... You can only learn from these thing and help make sure that it never happens again...

Good luck !!

liv
    they make a big F*ugly filter box for the 802's.
    I jumped to jbj's 550gph each.. loving it.
    and they come with the little cone adapter.
    and the benefit of having 2 outs at 90'deg .. like a two way.
    worth every penny.. and strong too!.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

the same thing happened to me a while ago. I have lost a true percula, a couple of turbo snails, my six line wrasse and almost my hippo tang that survived and now look healthy!
    i changed all my powerhead for maxijet 1200 which i think its the best for saltwater!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

You can actually buy caps for the hagen power heads SOrry don't know the name but if memory serves me correct they were 5.00 each.. Not cheap but I guess better to be safe then sorry. I agree i2ik anything bigger than a hagen 301 I would just go with maxi jets MUUCH better adaptor on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast