Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My coral got burn from the Metal halide! will they survive?

Yesterday I took off the UV glassing off the halide to get remeasure and cut to the spec I wanted it. 3 hours later as I got home, some of my coral looks like they got burned from the lighting. What should I do? Would they cure on their own??
    Newbie in training

Also, my new anemone that i just baught got pecked on by 2 of my shrimp yesterday causing him to loose some of it tanticle.....

Would it be better if I glue the anemone onto a rock and place him up high where the shrimp would not hurt him?
    Newbie in training

I have no clue why is that by removing the uv glass for a few hours can be this harmfull.. as my halide are only 70w x2
    Newbie in training

Anemones don't take well to being glued. As to the rest, I'm no help at all.

Please don't glue the anemone! Its alive and need the option to move just like a fish to find it's prefered place for current, lighting and feeding.
    For the corals being burned.... just a guess here and really a guess...thinking out loud.... could it be cause by taking the glass off it was like adding more strengh to the level of light and your corals reacted as if you gave them more wattage?.... We dont have glass between our metal halides and the water and at 400 w, we have never "burned" anything. I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowledge on this
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Are your bulbs SE or DE bulbs?? If they are de (double ended) then you require a uv glass sheild or your corals will get a bit of a burn the se (single ended) bulbs come with the glass coating so you don't require an extra uv shield.. If your bulbs are SE's thenI have no idea why your corals got burned.

Hi thanks for the great info guys,
    As for the Anemone, I am not gluing him. It was just a thought.
    As for the lighting - I have a DE bulb. Double end 70w x2 (2of them)
    I really hope my coral will heal on their own, as some of them donít look too happy.

Is there anything ells other then UV glass that I can use for my halide? Is there other alternative?
    Newbie in training

I have been searching around town for a shop that may have UV glass in stock and have not had any luck.
    Newbie in training

You could use a clear plastic as that will shild UV also. You have to make sure though that it's not going to get to hot under the hood to ensure that the plastic would not melt. I acctually have a friend that is doing this and as long as it sits far enough from the light and you have fans cooling your hood you should be fine.

**edit** this is assuming you have a hood

Hope this helps,

Steph

If you still want glass go to a Framming shop. They can cut you a piece of the right size. You don't need to go with UV glass ... just plain glass will do.

Later,

Steph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast