Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

calcium readings

I tested my calcium for the first time yesterday and i got 385, is this good or bad?

It depends what you are keeping.

The 385 reading is not so bad, but most will keep it higher, from 400 to 440.

Beware of some of the test kits. Some kits being sold out there are bad.....bad.....bad.

i have the new salifert kit, apparently it's one of the best
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yes Salifert are one of the best. 385 is pretty good considering how young your tank is. As Peluche said, it really depends om what you want to keep. If you plan to have corals and want lots of coraline growth, something in the 400's is better. Raise it gradually so you don't adversely affect your DKH. Do you know your corresponding Alkalinity reading?

Agreed, it's quite good for a young tank. I'd try raising it slowly with Turbo Calcium, that's what I used to get my calcium up when my tank was new. Very safe.
    Susan

I would tell you that as long as you are replenishing your calcium and your reading is consistent at 385 then you dont have to worry about it. It still isnt proven that having higher calcium levels is "better". Ive had realy good coral growth maitaining ca at 380. As reefmutt once said to me only bad things happen quickly in a reef tank. Good things happen slowly. If I were you I wouldnt stress out about ca readings, as long as your maintaining and replenishing. If it goes below 380 then maybe consider doing something to hike it up.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

according to the manufacturer of my salt calcium should be at 410. Why are you guys saying that it's good for such a yough tank to have 385. What consumes Calcium? If anything?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

SPS and clams consume calcium as far as I know, Im sure there's more things that use it up also..

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

LPS and coraline algea also consume calcium

I think, what is being said, is that it is not a panic situation when a young tank, with few occupants, has a lower Calcium reading.

You should tend it upward, but, don't try to get to 410 by then end of the day. If you add calcium, by whatever means, do it gently and try to get in the 400s within a few weeks. If you try to get it up by adding a lot in a short period to can send your tank out of control, precipitate out the calcium and knock other factors out too.

Typically, the only thing you do in a big way is an emergency water change. When you do this, you use fresh new water, with a known good salt mix. You would only do this when something else has gone very wrong.

Every other adjustment should be subtle.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast