Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Turnover rate, what is best?

I have a 130g tank with a 30g sump. My sump has 15g of water in it and my tank i have no idea maybe 85g. Is there any way to calculate rock volume by weight? I am currently using a mag 9 as a return and i was planning on adding another mag 9 as a second return. Is this a good idea? I am asking this because I have a euroreef cs6-1 and the manufacturer sais that if the turnover is too fast, the skimmer will not be efficient enough.

Rock has different denisity, so there's no way of telling volume by weight.

If you want to have an accurate guess, diagram it out in 4 equal sections. Then estimate section 1 is 30% rock etc.

A little math & you'll have a good idea how much water you actually have in your tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I suspect it might be toward the bad end of the scale. You will be putting that much more volume through your overflows (I don't know how close to capacity you are now). Plus, if the sump water level ever gets low, you would have two pumps to suck air and eventually burn out or damage.

Would you consider a closed loop? I presume you are looking for more current.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

sump turnover rate should be somewhere around 10 times the tanks total water volume per hour and somewhat slower through the refuge.
    Rob

Let me back up OSD.

Twice I have made the mistake of trying to run too much flow through my sump. The right way to go is about 10X (or even a little less) through the sump and then blow everything around with a separate closed loop. The flow to the sump only has to be enough to support skimming and heating.

If you start increasing the flow to the sump, you will run into problems with both the capacity of the plumbing and the linear length of the overflow. For example It takes 2 6" by 6" overflows to handle 1200 gph. That is why closed loops were invented.

I'd say start looking at a closed loop that is at least 1200 gph, or drop the big bucks and use Tunze streams (which I find myself lusting after regulary). You can always come by and I'll explain all of the things I did wrong plumbing my tank!

Bill

you can get higher flow rates over you overflow by cutting the teeth deeper into the top edge. You of course also need an increased reserve capacity in your sump but it really dose not matter because you do not need or want more then 10X the tanks volume in any case. BIG tanks can also have multiple overflows as needed.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I too will chime in here and back up OSD...
    You don't want more than 10x the tank's volume in terms of flow through the sump. You also want to size the sump appropriately. You don't want to run 1300gph through a 10gal sump either as that would be too much water through a small area.

If we were to use your tank as an example, let's say that the diskplay tank is ~4ft from the ground, and the sump directly below. Using a Mag12 as a sump return, you'd have about 1000gph when taking into account headloss.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

WOW, i wasen't expecting this as an answer. Due to the limitations of my tank, i cannot do a closed loop. I have a 2" hole drilled in my tank and i never again want power heads due to deaths. I was planning on putting 2 of Reefvan's reefrats on each end of my tank and running them each on a mag 9. Now i have to go back to the drawing board i guess. Someone, please find me a solution.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

You could do a closed loop without needing to drill the tank for additional holes if that is the limitation. Alternatively, many people are recommended in-tank Tunze stream pumps to increase flow.
    Nick

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mike,

The closed loop in my tank has no drilled holes in the display. The intake comes over the back wall of the tank and is virtually invisible due to the black ABS. Take a look at the thread for my 180gal, there's plenty of pictures there.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast