Thread: T5 Lighting

T5 Lighting

Hi has anyone had any experince with these lights?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....730+1100884362

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....730+1100884362

I was thinking about getting 3 of each.

Thanks,

Marcel
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Try to get at least ho's and higher wattage if can.....those ones arent enough fro you tank in my opinion....if you are going to spend any money id go a bit higher..but that only my opinion.....since i had t5's and your tank....by the way how did the drive and move go?did you start putting stuff in it?Dont forget to send pics or post them...im anxious to see your set up....one thing i know for sure is that you wont regret that tank.....lots of place..........
    Derik...

Hahahahahaha Derik the drive was great comming home. Actually we never came right home We stopped at the Beer Store... Then went to Dolans Pub for a few before the drive home I never got the tank even into my house yet. The tank never move a inch in the truck.Hopefully this weekend... Well maybe i'm in Moncton partying tonight so depends how hung over i am to do the switch over.

About the lighting,I will give it some thought and maybe go VHO. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Marcel:beer:
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Pluff,
    T5 lighting is getting all the rage right now. Recently, I too was doing the reading on them to change out my VHO actinics for T5 actinics. You should look at the HO type of T5's and get a very good reflector for them too because without a reflector they are nothing. Another thing you might be interested in knowing is that the 2nd one you linked is not really an actinic ( 429nm) but rather what people are calling a "blue light" at 460nm. The blue is brighter than a true actinic, and if you're only using the T5's to light the tank, you might want to consider them instead of an actinic, but the tradeoff is that you won't have any true actinic which means the corals won't flouresce as much and nor get the true actinic that they so much need.
    Also, you can run the HO type of T5 with an IceCap ballast if you already have one so that cuts down on buying new ballasts too.
    Now, having said this I have since decided to forego the T5's for now because I have yet to see some actual scientific tests or data to support everything we can read about them right now. So far, it's all just personal taste, heresay or experience of individual hobbyists. No one seems to be able to agree on what type is best andso on. Persoanlly, I am waiting for something from Sanjay to see hard data.

yes let me know when you get it set up marcel......if you dont go at least HO on t5 you wont really enjoy the type of lighting.....especially on that size tank.....
    Derik...