Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help catching fish

Help, :bawling:
    I have a Blue Devil damsel who is so aggressive he is killing everything in my tank. He is always chasing each fish and I've been finding them dead one after the other. Everytime I add a fish another or the one added dies.

I once trapped him inside a rock for 3 months and he swam out skinny but alive. I don't want to have to take aprt my reef so any ideas on how I could get him out.
    I was thinking of a small fish hook or some sort of trap with a jar.

Maybe I should have a fishing contest and award a prize to whomever catches him...lol
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

They sell fish traps but Im not sure how effective they would be for a damsel. I had to take all the rocks/water out to remove him from the tank.

ijo
    I have had sucess catching these little devils with a net... place the net in the tank and throw some food in it... if they don't go for it... try again the next day... it might take a few days but eventually they will want to eat more than the little that falls out of the net... don't move the net until one is inside as these guys are very fast.

You might also try asking if anyone in the Montreal area has a spare trap... most are willing to lend these(I have one for the locals)... good luck!!!

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Cut the top off a soda pop bottle, invert the top into the bottle, place some food in there and wait. It may take several days, but it will work.

This uses the same principle of a minnow fish trap, or lobster cage trap. They get in, and don't know how to get out.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Must remember that one Tangman:grab:

Or this.....

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

hth.......Steve

I had to rip the Reef apart to get the Eibli out but he was to big to go in the trap, when I cut the mouth of the pop bottle bigger they all just swam in and out it was too big......but he never went in it anyway. I then tried the pipe with holes..HD $4.00 but he never went near it....

Thanks guys I got a few more things to try now, I'll let you all know who won the fishing contest....:biggrinbo
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

I'm trying the pop bottle methode first. So far he is garrding it as his own and stays around the mouth. When he first approached he could see the food inside and was trying through the wall of the bottle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast