Thread: PVC vs. ABS??

PVC vs. ABS??

I'm in the process of planning the plumbing for my new reef tank(more questions to come LOL). It is very easy to purchase ABS pipe around here at different diameters, however PVC pipe is more difficult to come by & therefore probably more expensive. My question is: Is it alright to use ABS (black) plastic pipe for my reefs plumbing requirements?
    Pierre

There's always debates on other boards regarding ABS vs PVC, and from all I gathered, ABS is SAFE, I saw many people use ABS with success, I went with ABS myself for my overflow return, although for the rest I went the economical way for now (vinyl tubing that will be changed later to PVC). The only reason why I will switch it to PVC and not ABS is because my local h/w stores including home depot only carry large size ABS and not small size (3/4"). And theres more than enough stores that sell the smaller diameter PVC. I believe even JohnnyRock uses ABS for his returns, i think cause its black..

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Cool

ABS is just fine. PVC looks cleaner and more fittings are available but you can mix and match using transition cement.

Agreed. I have so much plumbing planed that I will use ABS. It is easy to find, SAFE to use and CHEAP. I FINALLY found a 1.5 inch threaded ABS adapter to put into the back sides of my 1.5 inch bulkhead fitting.
    rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ABS is fine...

I'm using ABS pipe for my closed loops intake because it's black and blends into the background.

I'm using PVC and flexPVC everywhere else.

At some points I have ABS pipe meeting up with PVC fittings. It's fine as long as you use Transition cement for those kinda of junctions.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks guys, time to start a "shopping list".
    Pierre