Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pic of my 20g

Pic of my 20g

Just thought I'd share my 20 with everyone. I would be very happy to receive both positive and negative comments.
    Many thanks!
    (I'm so happy with it )
    My next step will be to find and build an aquaclear 500 fuge!
    Thanx

Welcome to AC Nanosteve!!

Glad to hear you take joy in your setup, its always rewarding to know you built that little piece of the ocean yourself!

What size is your tank ??

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Hi,
    It's a 20 gallon high. Been running it now for almost 5 weeks

It's looking good, the corals look happy and expanded- do dose anything for alkalinity/ph?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Looking really good. I will have 2 suggestions.
    -Get small sump for heater and skimmer. Your tank will thank you for that.
    -I donít see any snails in there so if you donít have them get 8-10 because there is green algae starting to grow (perfectly normal for a new tank) and you need something that will help keep it in control.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Thanks guys,
    I have been using seachem products. The tank cycled very well and fast, love the LR and LS. I had help from the fish store with a few scoops of their live sand and some water etc, sped things up real nice. Started using a PH buffer right away to bring it up to 8.3 Also use Reef Plus, vitamin and amino acid between 10% bi-weekly water changes and I use Reef Complete, helps raise calcium levels. The other product I use also by Seachem, is Reef Builder for Alk. All the chemistry seems to be doing well. 0 PPM Ammonia,Nitrite and I have no problems keeping the Nitrate down to 5-10PPM although I'm still going to do a plenum or fuge or something, still researching but if I can find a used AQ500 or the like I'll try the fuge Right now all the clutter (skimmers,heaters,PH's etc) give me that hi-tec feeling
    I have 17 snails in total
    4 cerith
    8 margerita's
    5 nassarius
    as well as 4 hermit crabs. I'm also trying to pick up a Lawnmower Blenny so much coralline algea being covered by hair Grrrr
    I'm just loving it and learning at an alarming rate. Just hope I can keep it all stable!
    Thanx for checking it out !

Look's like you are off to a great start! Keep up the good work. Just a word of advice, IMO Astrea and Turbo snails are by far the best at eating algea. Margerita snails never did squat for me. Nassirus snails help to keep the sand bed stirred (a very good snail). I have no experince with cerith snails so I can't comment on how well they do their job. I would get about 10-15 Astrea snails and maybe 5 turbo snails, they would definatly put a huge dent in your algea.

One quick question, what do you have for lighting over the tank?

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Hi,
    You know,now that you mention it, the margerita' s are always seen moving away from the algea I'll look into those others, many thanks!
    Right now I have the aqualite by Coralife. It is 2x65 watt PC with cooling fans on a set of legs about 3 inches above the water, no lid! I have a 65watt Actinic and a 65Watt 10k. I run the actinic from 8AM till 10PM (hoping to induce coralline growth) and the 10k from 9AM till 5 PM. Everything is setup on timers.
    I just finished soldering a moon light for it as well. Just have to mount it. Going to put the moonlight on a dimmer switch so I can play with moon phases etc
    Too much fun. Have my eye on a 175Watt MH setup right now, not sure if I'll prioritize that or not yet!

As well as any comments on the lighting etc. Can I ask, how does this look for 8 hours worth of skimming?
    The picture makes it look a little darker but very close! For the last three days I have been getting these results. Should it be thicker pastey like or, compared to other brands is it alright? This skimmate?? is watery with darker/black flecks throughout it trapped in the bubbles. Sorry, not much experience with the protein skimmers
    Thanx

nanosteve,
    Can't help you with the skimmer questions cause I'm dumb in that department myself but the tank looks GREAT!!! Nice start! How do you find your Hermit Crabs with your Narsius Snails? I can't put them together cause the hermits eat the snails and steal their shells!! I've lost many a snail till I finally figured out that my hermit like the look of "Snail Clothes".
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast