Thread: skimmer advice

skimmer advice

hey guys!

this is the first skimmer i have used and i could really use some advice. (prism pro)

what i need to know is how long i should be running it, do you guys run your skimmers full time or just a certain period each day/ night?

Do you have it running after water changes?
    How about when feeding, should i leave it running or stop for say an hour after?I feed the fish at 5pm and the corals at 8-9pm (with dts plankton and another liquid feed)

I also run carbon in the skimmer, how often does the carbon need changing, it says on the packaging that the carbon is good for 6 months but this seems a little long.

Any advice will be appreciated!

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has helped with advice in the setup of my new tank, it looks superb and i am very pleased with the outcome, it would have been a very difficult process without all your inputs, so thank you all very much! :happy2: :happy2:

I'd leave the skimmer running all the time. As for carbon, since it can release phosphate back into the water over time, I'd run it for a day or two every month or so to remove any yellowing in the water.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

yes leave the skimmer all the time it will skim what it has to skim and thats it.....if there is nothing to skim it wont skim.....and when there is junk to skim it will skim......let it run and it will do its job when it needs too..
    Derik...

Cool

REEFMUTT: about the carbon, releasing over time? do you mean if the bag of carbon is left there and once its exhausted it releases or right off the start? I know that randy on RC runs carbon I believe 24/7. but is most likely rinsing and changing it out on a regular basis.

Sorry to hijack here, but it has to do with what steve asked. What about leaving the skimmer running when dosing additives and feeding phtyo?

You aren't hijaking- you're right on topic!!! - as I said, I'd let it run. It may remove a little bit of the stuff being added, but that is what skimmers do, it is part of the system. Turning it off and on all the time will reduce the efficiency of the skimmer.
    Johnny, over time, once carbon is exhausted it may or may not release some phosphate. Fresh is better.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Ok thanks for the advice reefmut. I've been leaving it on but wasnt sure if I should or not. thanks again. :beer:

thanks guys, much appreciated.
    We need more Indians!