Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie From Alberta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone i am new to the fourm

let me tell you about me, i am 16 years old and live in Alberta, i don't own a saltwater tank YET, i plann in 2 weeks to get a 77gal fishtank for saltwater, i know everything about fresh, and i am not always learning about the saltwater world i know alot right now i been learning for 6 months so far, so i am just here to watch peoples qestions and ask qestions if i need help

my first qestions is, the fishtank i plann on getting only has 2 places for light bulbs, but i know thats not enough, for getting corals and inverts, does anyone know any good place in Edmonton for good lights tops? or somewere cheap hehe

anyways talk to you later

Matt

ijo

Welcome to Aquaria Canada littleboyblue16...

There is a ton of information on this board and in references to others (RAG and RC for example). I hope you find what your looking for... if not.. ask away

I'm not familiar with Edmonton but maybe other members are... what size tank are you planning to purchase? what do you mean your light top only has two places for bulbs? Is this a canopy from a freshwater tank? the ones with strip lights?

IJO

i plann on buying a 77gal, if i could find a better deal on a bigger one i might got for that, but since i am moving in a few years i want to stick with big, but no so big kinda tank

ya the fishtank has those bulbs for freshwater, but i know i need more then those

Wink albertan

I lived in CALGARY for over 12 years! I used to boo the OILERS"LOL"[good old days]. I would start off with a drilled tank with an overflow built in. This way you could add a sump
    to put your heaters and such. You will see as you go along that a sump is a blessing! You could either try your hand at builing your own canopy or buy one that sits on top and has actinics with METAL HALIDES.the do it yourself is the cheapest way to go. I find that most people[including myself]
    start to small and make tons of rooky errors and thats why most of us have a box full of useless junk.Try to start off with 90G TANK[longer is better than higher] and go from there.
    SUMP+CANOPY+LIGHTS+BALLAST+PUMP to return the water to the tank. It is endless so take your time and ask tons of ?

i 90gal hmmmmm see i don't want to go to big, becuase is a year or 2 i am moving to Salmon Arm BC, and plann on having a BIGGER fishtank their, like a 250 or so, i know a sump on a 77gal seems like a good idea, the only thing is, trying to find a predrilled tank in edmonton, their are only 2 good fishplaces in edmonton here to get something like that but theirs alit of $$$$$ to it, and as for the lights you can make one for me haha

Wink little

the difference between a 77g and a 90g is the depth I believe.
    almost the same tank. Talk to IVAN here at AQUARIA.CA as I think he has a 90g drilled with overflow box and it might be cheaper to ship it? ask him, see what he says.

well today, i am going to all the petstores i can, and see how much a good fishtank is, and see how everything is, we shall see hehe

awsome! good hunting.

i think i found the best deal

a 77gal stand canopy, and a fluval 404 and of course the tank for $814.00 sounds good to me, and the cheapest for any tanks, i seen this 350 i bowfront at a store but they were asking 4000 for it, with stand being more money haha

ijo
    I would keep looking... sounds like you went to Aquarium Services.. hehe

That was my first tank also... word of advice... "Get a Drilled Aquarium" as the fluval won't do anything for you other than a little watter movment and alot of nitrates if you don't clean it often(monthly)... the canopy has one strip light(40 watts won't do it for any corals) the cabinet is made out of chipwood with no space for a sump. <takes a breath> hehe

I hope I didn't scare you... I think Nick has that same 77... it'll work but you'll have to spend some extra $$$ on lights(probably have to build DIY canopy while your at it). A drilled tank makes your life easier and the tank look a ton better. Hope this helps

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast