Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Temperature variation Night/Day ?

Hi,

I just want to know what will be a normal temperature
    variation between Day and Night.

I saw 76.8 at night and 80.0 max here...is it too much?
    (I have nothing much than crabs and hermits yet...starting system)

Is stable temperature better than small variation?

Let me know with your experience.

Thanks

stable temp is of course always better, but since i dont have a chiller, i also have temp swings (low ~77 - high ~81). nobody seems to mind though.
    Albert
    My Photos

I read somewhere that corals and such do not like anything over 5 degree variance, can not remember the source. I have wood heat myself! Many times in the morning I am seeing 73-74 to a max of 80. Don't need a chiller but I am looking into a better quality heater
    I have a less expensive Thermo tech 150watt in my 20g
    I'm going to buy an Ebo to see if that helps. No adverse affects as of yet though but, I am just starting out!
    Cheers

Nanosteve, you won't regret an Ebo heater, Ive had mine in my new tank for the past 2 weeks, has kept my temp stable since cycle started. Stable as in my temp always stays between 78-79.5...the highs are due to slow temperature climbs after the lights have been on for a while, after the lights go out and in mornings and such, temp always stays around that lower range.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

I had a huge ICK problem last year and the LFS guy told me to up my temp...I did and I haven;t had ICK since (Knock on wood!) BUT my temp is about 84 all the time. Is this bad? None of my livestock seem to mind!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I read (forgot source) that its less dangerous to have corals for short period of times in cooler water rather than warmer water. And from what I have gathered, fish don't seem to mind lower temperatures (72F) so im not going to chance my tank by running it anywhere above 80 and risk nuking it. I try and keep my temp at approx. 78F so there is some (not much) leaway in case a heater sticks and starts heating the tank or any other mishap for that reason, just a little bit of time to catch the problem. Anyhow we all do things for one reason or another, how about everyone else and temps ??

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

For my tank at home, it starts out at 76.5F in the morning and reaches a high of 78.
    For work, temperature stays around 78-79 (temperature in the building doesn't change much).
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Originally posted by piatchie
    I had a huge ICK problem last year and the LFS guy told me to up my temp...I did and I haven;t had ICK since (Knock on wood!) BUT my temp is about 84 all the time. Is this bad? None of my livestock seem to mind!
    Sorry to hijack this thread.
    Temp has nothing to do with ick. Actually a higher temp will just make their cycle much faster. Also, ich can still be in your tank and probably still is. Doesn't mean you cant see it that it's not there.

I was told that Ick could not live in higher temp so at 84 I would have less of a chance of getting it. I guess I should try to take it down a notch........AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULAR PROGRAMING!!!!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

if you want more info go to reefcentral.com and there are 2 artickes on ich.they are called ich part1, ich part 2
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast