Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Keep in mind Mike that the 1.5 inch is INSIDE DIA. so by the time you thread in to that fitting a 1.5 inch inside DIA barb or elbow or whatever the bulkhead fitting itself in somewhat bigger.
    Rob

Thanks OSD for the diagram, you and Tangman have been very generous in your instruction of the art of reef plumbing,
    John

OSD, just a few questions about the schematic. First, for the closed loop I'm assuming the input does not skim the surface, could the output be at the lower part of the tank to create a cross-flow from bottom to top. Do you need different "types" of pump for closed loop vs sump? or is gph at the head all that matters? Thanks alot,
    John

On a closed loop setup the holes can be wherever you think they will suit your need. However the input should not be too close to the surface or it will suck in air. As a general rule the pump for a closed loop is somewhat more powerful then the sump system return pump.
    rob

Thanks again,
    John

Thank you very much for your diagram OSD,

Why in the diagram the fuge part is allimented with the water of the return pump and not with the water that come from the overflow from the tank ? What is the advantage of doing it like that?

Thank you very much for your help OSD !!

Steve

This is necessary to control the flow rate through the refuge part of the set up. You need to get about 10 X the tanks volume through your sump but somewhat less through the refuge. If all the water from the sump part went into the Refuge the flow in the Refuge would be too high. Now you could branch it off your overflow if you want to ... BUT it would be water of the worst condition as compared to the water that has been skimmed, heated and aerated.
    Rob

Thank you really much OSD!! That is really interresting and logical ! It is a great help.

I am totaly replaning my system and I will on ly have room for a 30 gal sump/fuge tank. Do you think this is big enough to build it like your digram or will I have to put my skimmer outside of the sump or will not enough space for a fuge ? Thank you very much!!

Well .. saying 30 gallons dose not help much as 30 gallons can come in many sizes .. right?? I think you should be looking for something that is at least 30 inches long to fit it all in there with some breathing room and room for upgrades if they become necessary. However if you plan it out with care you can make the sump pretty tight. The refuge part should be as large as is possible.
    Rob

Really sory, You are right 30 gal dosnt tell that much... My tank (sump/fuge) is 30 inch bye 12 inch. Thank you OSD !

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast