Thread: ID Please

ijo

ID Please

I found this at the bottom of a rock a SPS was on. Its been spreading over the past few months.. very kewl looking purple/white thing. Any idea?

IJO

Question IJO

Not sure but I remember seeing a thread on RC a long while back about something very similar. Maybe post the pic there if ya don't get any info here.very weird looking.

IJO showed this to me today, and I've never seen anything like it either....and I keep all kinds of stuff from the zooanthus family.

It appears to be a "matting" coral, but what you see in the picture, is actually "open", so I'm thinking it is maybe some type of sponge, rather than a coral?

Looks like it is from the TUNICATE family.....possibly a Lollipop soft coral.....

ijo
    Looks like your right FishPrick...

Reeflady from RAG just pointed me to this page

About half way down...
    Compound ascidians are the smallest tunicates. Generally, these form large colonies which are embedded into a common tunic. These colonies may either encrust dead or living surfaces. The siphons are numerous and are common to the colony. In some species, such as the condominium tunicates, the outward appearances may also give the semblance of a sponge.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I was thinking Tunicate as well, however the larger openings threw me for a loop..
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!