Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question mixing fish and Reefs

I decided to try and balance some fish, 1 or 2 corals, anemone and a clam. Is the Cow-fish, Long nosed hawk, Orange spotted file fish, and one of the most beautiful of all, the the Common Sea Dragon suitable? I've very good success with fish and this is the first foray into reef, I plan to keep the reef to a minimum, as the fish go by different names and the names are often updated, I can put up a few pics.
    Tiff.
    :angel:

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    First of all,

What size tank?

- Anenome's and clams require very established tanks to do well.
    - I'm not sure about the cow-fish and the file fish. I have very limited information at work. (all my books are at home)

As for the Sea Dragon...

Aren't those illegal to collect as they are an endangered species? Even if you can get one, last price I saw was $10,000....

The Sea Dragon would also not do very well in a community style reef. As it won't do well in turbid waters. It would have to be kept in a species tank (like sea-horses)

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

The tanks 3 foot, 150 litres, it works out to about 600 gal. and that's why I'm carefully picking and choosing a few inhabitants, I'm looking at the Mini clams. The tank has been established for nearly 2 years. (This is the second as the first exploded and all was lost). I didn't know that the sea dragon was endangered! OOPS! I shall keep away then, I guess that's why I haven't seen to many lately!!!!!!!(LOL).
    What about the hawk? (I plan to get bottom, middle, top dwellers evenly, and upgrade to a bigger tank, but want to concern myself with the current size.) I know that bi-valves are supposed to be good water filters, if the mini clam is not an appropriate choice, what would you recommend.
    :angel:

I forgot to mention the longnose hawk. I had one before my crash in july. He was a model citizen, even got along with inverts. Very personable fish. He was my wife's favorite.
    These fish lack swim bladders, which explains why they're always perched on something. A great fish in my opinion.
    HOwever, being in the hawk family, there is a chance that it develops a taste for shrimp.

Clams..
    Ideally, you may wanna try a Derasa or a Squamosa as your first clam. They are more tolerant for beginners.

However be advised that these guys can get rather large over a period of many years.

Also, try to get one that is ATLEAST 3" in length. The smaller ones depend on being fed phytoplankton, and will perish otherwise, whereas the larger ones can do well with some good light.
    Light is definately a factor when keeping clams. 250w MH's would be ideal.

Hope that helps.

Just a small note. 150 litres is actually 40 Gal not 600 Gal That's more consistent with a 36" length too.

Nick.

Very true nickb, I forgot to address that...

Sea dragons are not only dificult to care for and endagerd they are almost imposible to get out of the water,

when thy get higher up in the water they dy if done too quikly because of the change of pressur.

They also cannot be bread in captivity, they need a incredibly deep tank to do it and moon light is critical for the mating "dance"

I plan on going scooba diving one day and go take a look at them

For me they are like a mistical animal that should never be put in a tank, like a unicorn lol

I know you didn't need all that info but I just like talking about the sea dragon

http://www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm

They have greaaattttttttttttttt pic of Sea Dragon , Dragonet Mandarin and all kind
    25g Reef

Most sea dragons i've read about are bigger than my house...JUST KIDDIN!

Actually most of what I have read is they are from cooler bodies of water and therefore would not be suitable mixed with life indigenous to warmer waters.

Have FUN:

They are from the region of australia and there flotation bladder is verry frragil because of that it is very hard to get them out of the ocean without a lot of patiente
    25g Reef

Thanks for all the replies. The Sea Dragon is an amazing creature, and the info is interesting. I have a great wallpaper pic. of one.
    I've had a Hawk in my last tank and was a good tank mate, I've had heard conflicting reports on their reef compatibility, and it's 70% good so it looks like I'll have a new inhabitant.
    I bought the Cow fish, my LRS said that they were suited to the reef tank... (certain species) but my half yellow and half magenta fish, similar to a fairy, has been hassling him, and not allowing him near the rocks. He still seems fairly peaceful and happy, adapted almost immediately. I'm a Little worried that the pink /yellow fish will over hassle him to dire consequences. I'm currently trying to catch him and swap him for a less territorial species. He's as about as easy to catch as a mantis shrimp!!!!!! AH! I have an idea, put the food in a breeding cage, (he usually takes all frozen food under the rocks so no-one else can eat!!) and trap him..
    I think I'll have to wait for the bigger tank before I get a clam, any other suggestions on a good bi-valve?? I believe their good water cleaners, for use of a better phrase!
    I'm not too good with the conversions, I think I'll leave that to you guys! Oh Well at least I tried....
    It's good to have people to talk to about these things, no-one I know has marine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast