ijo

Brine Shrimp(grab a snack.. its a novel)

A clip from a Brine Shrimp thread I was reading on RAG... your thoughts?

Congratulations on what you are doing. The notion that persists in the hobby that brine shrimp have no nutritional value comes from people theorizing, and from persistent "advice" that continues to be handed down without substance. I think the rationale for it comes from the fact that if you buy adult brine shrimp in the frozen cubes or flats, and you thaw them, most of the solid matter is shell...hence why folks think they aren't nutrtious. This goes back to the fish-only days where, if you fed shells to fish, and all the nutritious "juice" went in the tank water (before inverts and skmmmers), you wound up with malnourished fish and a tank full of brine juice that was quickly degraded in wet-dery filters and resulted in high phosphates and nitrates in the water.

BUT, all that "juice" is the perfect size for corals and other inverts to feed on...microscopically small. So, its not wasted. Fish still probably don't get a lot from frozen adult brine, but IMO, the frozen flats are much better quality than they used to be. That aside, live brine shrimp are a completely differnt matter and are extremely nutritious. Furthermore, beng live, they can't degrade water quality until they die...but they are eaten long before they die. While they are alive, how could they pollute the tank? How could they be "high in phosphate?" They are living crustaceans. Now, the end of the story in terms of nutrition is that nauplii..what you are using... are going to be very nutritious without you doing anything. If you were to grow them up, their nutritvive value would be related to what they are fed. Then, you could wind up with highly nutritious, very non-nutritious, or maybe even phosphate laden brine shrimp. But who does that? And you can tell everyone who has told you otherwise to 1) not believe everything they hear or read and 2) at least save others from acquiring the same misinformationby reading and thinking before they speak. I hate this trait in the hobby, and if people would bother picking up real factual material and not hobby anecdote before professing their expertise, we would all have much healthier tanks and be quite a bit smarter, to boot!
    IJO

brine

I'm inclined to believe the other thousands of EXPERIENCED hobbiest of some who are marine biologist and have tested these creatures to find that they are very low on the nutrition scale. That is why some gut load these or soak them in SELCON to enhance there value. Even some manufactures in the AQUARIUM trade have listed on there package that they've enhanced there brine with OMEGA 3.

If your looking for personal input then I'd have to tell you that I do and have always fed frozen brine shrimp to my fish and inverts. My friend and I found it really wasn't worth the effort to raise them ourselves (too much mess for something soooo cheap). I do get the spirulina enhanced BS and the fish and the inverts have thrived and are very happy. I might tend to also agree that there may not be too much nutrition in them but people have been feeding them for years to FW and SW hobbiests alike.
    I never overfeed and I also feed a few other kinds of food in small portions throughout the day for variety when I can.
    I'll continue to feed them regardless of what "some" marine biologist think.
    Cheers

soup

I still always use brine as well but I do soak it to give it that boost and of cours a variety of foods is a must.
    I use: BRINE,MYSIS,FLAKE, a few types of FROZEN,NORI,CYCLOP EEZE,large pieces of SHRIMP.SCALLOP and SQUID.

john rock

I agree with the soaking also. I usually take a small amount of tank water to soak mine in, sometimes with a drop of micro-vert or garlic juice ( yes garlic )
    and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so.
    I also feed flake, mysis, blood worms, krill and plankton as well as the micro-vert to the inverts. I also dose with essential elements once between water changes.
    Garlic juice might sound strange but I have read and found out first hand that if you have finicky eaters that a little bit of garlic juice (just garlic and water...no preservatives or additives) added to the food and allowed to soak can sometimes make all the difference...and I'm sure that the fact that it has been proven to be beneficial to us humans that it may have some merit with the health of the fish to some extent.
    Cheers

Soup,
    I'll agree about the garlic and John also uses garlic at times. Have you looked for a brand called Cryolic at health food stores. It is a pure concentrated form of garlic, but fresh squeezed one is also the same and just as good.
    My 2 cents on the shrimp thing is that brine shrimp is essentially jello. Basically just water shaped into little shrimp shapes. Yes the fish will go nuts over it because it's like potatoe chips to them. People LOVE eating chips too and can survive on them.... for awhile, but try eating ONLY chips day in and day out and get back to me on how you feel a little while from now and we'll see if it's good for you. I do not use brine shrimp at all because it is a waste. The only time brine shrimp are nutritious IS when they are grown by yourself and when they just hatch and still have their yolksack attached to them. In reality, it is the actual yolksack that is beneficial to our livestock and not the shrimp. These sacks dissapear very fast however as the shrimp starts to comsume it right after it's born. people use it out of habit and "old school" ways. Brine shrimp was one of the earlier " natural" foods available commercially ans was/is cheap so people started using it and ust got used to the fact that it is o.k. to feed the animals. However, things change and info is more available now which shows that it is useless.