cleaning up my sand

About a month ago all the snails in my tank just stopped moving. I couldn't figure it out because all my water test came back fine. I finally figured out that my hydrometer was a little off and that my salinity had been low for a few months.

My problem now is that my tank has a lot of algae growth on the sand and it looks awful. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on cleaning up the sand. My new snails aren't interested at all, they spend most of their time on the glass or the rockwork. Would some Nessarius snails clean that up. Maybe a sand "vacuum"?

Well this might not be the million$$$$ answer that you are looking for but i had the same problem. I had 2 blue knuckle hermits that were unwanted because they eat all the coraline off the rock so i made holes in a tupperware and put them inside and added a rock on top so the tupper wouldn't float away. My conclusions were strange. The blue knuckle's did nothing but waste my time but all the other hermits in my tank decided to clean around the tupperware and in the following days clean all over my tank. I also made another test and added normal hermits in the tupperware and they cleaned very well. Conclusions: Put regular hermits in the tupperware and move it around or get a hole bunch of hermits. I wish i had pics of what my sand looked like before they cleaned it....it was horrible.

lol - it's a fully organic aquatic vacuum!
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

You would be surprised to see when hermits get motivated to work on how well they do it.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thats intersting. Maybe Ill try secluding some of my hermit crabs to see what theyll do.

phosphate sponge??

Does that remove phosphate? I tested mt water for phosphates, and the level was fine.

i was told the same thing, and my phosphates were fine also. Increase flow in the given area with a power head and do the experiment. You should see my tank right now there is hardly nothing to eat any more but all the hermits are looking for food on the sand that was fill of algea/diatoms
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)