Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tank will over flow.. (HELP)

i filled my tank today and found out my pump will over flow my tank.. the mag 9.5.. it also empties out the return side of my sump...

i have 2x1" returns.. and 1x 1.5" drain..

i need help lol..

i let the mag go as long as i could but it will overflow my tank..

oh yeah tank is 75g with 38gal sump..

my sump has 2 baffles.. 12" high.. total of 3 compartments..
    fitrst is for sump and drain.. second is for future refug. but hold my filters.. 3rd is a small compartment.. 6"x12"x12" (LxWxH)

which the mag 9.5 drains..

but it also will over flow the tank so i have to stop it lol..

Please help!!

put a gate valve after the output back to the tank and restrict the flow...but i suggest if its really too much to just get a new pump
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

How do you have it setup Fishermen. If I'm not mistaken Those 1.5 inch bulkheads should handle about 1200 GPH . According to RCs calculator a 1.43 inch drain will handle 1200 GPH.
    Rob

Originally posted by weeble
    put a gate valve after the output back to the tank and restrict the flow...but i suggest if its really too much to just get a new pump
    I agree, only its not a gate valve, but actually a ball valve. You will need one with in/out connections to match the size of your return line from your mag95. Once it is installed slowly restrict the water flow until your overflow is able to keep up with the return water.

The inside diameter dictates the actual size of your bulkhead, if you drilled a 1.5" hole for a standard bulkhead then the ID is probably only 1" thus it will only keep up with a "max" of 800gph or less depending on the plumbing configuration. A mag7 would have been better/safer but the valve should do the trick.

I'm sure the hole I drilled for him was a 2.5 inch so the bulkhead fitting should be 1.5 inch NET.
    Rob

Do you know what kind of a standpipe he is using and if he is using a strainer on it. I am using a 1 1/4" bulkhead with a derso standpipe and strainer and my mag 7 running at about 500gph almost overruns the overflow.

That is odd. I ran my MAG 9.5 on my 100 gallon setup with about 600 to 700 gallons flow after taking into account pipe head etc and it never came close to outdoing the overflow.
    Rob

To stop my overflow from overflowing, I use this

PVC Plus... bring cash its cheaper

I talked to FISHERMAN last night, the overflow box [OSD design] was just riding a little to high in the tank [teeth not low enough] so he cut it a bit and it works fine. He did all this while I was on the phone LOL:
    My oppion on cutting back a pump, not good. you bought a pump for ultimate flow, if its to big exchange it, if the drain can be redone, do it, or, add a refugium. get the best out of your pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast